OWC Data Doubler Kit

Reaction score
hi guys i am looking to speed up my mid 2010 macbook pro 15inch. i was looking into run an ssd and not spend that much money. so i found this OWC OWCDDMBS6E060 DIY Kit: Data Doubler + 60GB... in stock at OWC
OWC Data Doubler Kit + 60GB OWC 6G SSD
i will use my SSD drive for the start up drive launching apps and my hdd for storage of photos etc....
-My question is when you run two hard drives in your macbook does it work like your using one hard drive say like when you open iPhoto does all your photos pop up or do you have to select the hard drive that the photos are on?
-also what do you guys think about running the owc SSD drive is 60gb good for a start up drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I cannot answer your question about the 60GB as a startup disk, and whether this is sufficient or not, but I can say that, setting up a software RAID is not a good idea, particularly with two physically different drives, so I'd just leave it as is - two separate drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I for one highly suggest a 128GB SSD or larger.. 60 is seriously cutting it to close..
As for answering your question, your drives need to match before setting up RAID or you will be limited to the size of the smaller drive. Also you can enable fusion drive, there are some instructions online how to do this. But also you will have to install Trim Enabler for your SSD anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Too close. Go for the 128GB and not that much dearer.

My Mavericks, with no iTunes and very few photos runs a total of 47GB for the operating system, Office and no larger suites at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have to agree with the above. 60GB is waayy to close for comfort.

I have done exactly this with my 2012 MBP. I swapped out the Optical Drive with a OWC 256GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD2 with the Data Doubler and I have it as my Boot Drive and Applications. It takes up 100GB as it is. Yes I have a lot of Apps, but you need to remember when you open one up, all the swap files and data crunching will be done on that 60GB SSD, so in essence, you will need at least, minimum, 12-15GB free on that drive at any given point. If you work with big files you might even use more, but as harry above stated, he has 40odd GB taken up, just for the OS and all its files.

I would seriously look at 128GB Minimum. I have this on my iMac, as a startup disk, for when I want to do a lot of work, and data crunching, and it does well, 60GB is pushing the envelope to the Max !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
Too close. Go for the 128GB and not that much dearer.

My Mavericks, with no iTunes and very few photos runs a total of 47GB for the operating system, Office and no larger suites at all.

I also suggest at least 128GB. I am similar to this and am at a little over 60GB for the OS, Office and Photoshop. It adds up quickly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.