Broken battery screw tabs = dropped laptop?

Reaction score
If the small screw/battery tabs (which hold the battery in place) are broken, is this always indicative the laptop has been dropped? We have a few MacBook Pros which have some minor problems, but upon opening the case we find the small screw tabs have broken off. For us, this is the difference between processing the repair as an insurance claim (for accidental damage) or repairing in house. There are no dents or any other signs of damage or abuse - just the broken tabs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If the small screw/battery tabs (which hold the battery in place) are broken, is this always indicative the laptop has been dropped?

I would have to say that I would have a pretty hard time coming up with other scenarios that would be responsible for those plastic battery tabs getting broken…other than the computer being dropped…or bumped pretty severely against an object.

And I am surprised that no external damage is present (but the battery tabs are broken). I guess the computer could have landed just right (in a fall/drop)…where the exterior wasn't damaged…but the shock was still enough for the brittle plastic tabs to break.

It is possible…that someone was working on the inside of the computer…and maybe over-tightened the screws (breaking the plastic tab's). It is a VERY good idea to disconnect or remove the battery when working on the inside. So this could happen.

Also (who knows)…that battery could have been replaced with a used battery with broken tabs.

But of these three scenarios…the dropped or seriously bumped computer would be my statistical 1st choice for the broken tabs (let's say a "guesstimate" of 90-95%)…maybe more. The other two scenarios I mentioned would have a far less probability.

Although many folks can be pretty bad about over-tightening screws (if they were working on the inside of a computer).

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.