Cable wireless and iMac

Reaction score
Just moved and had cable TV and wireless internet service installed. But my iMac won't connect to the internet. What am I missing?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So much ground to cover here:

- Moving to a new place
- possibly a new cable provider than you had before
- possibily new equipment than you had previously (new cable modem, new WiFi router, etc.)

The problems may not even be related to your iMac. I would be 500% sure that the issue has nothing to do with the new cable provider or their equipment (and the settings)...before thinking it's the iMac.

I'm assuming your iMac worked fine at your previous location...so the big changes seem to be the new location/equipment...and the settings related to that equipment.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for responding, Nick. I switched from ATT UVERSE to regular cable connection. With ATT there was a router in my office. But the Time Warner Cable installer said I should be able to pick up internet in my office from the living room, which is where their modem is. I tried to find a way to log in to the new network, but iMac didn't even ask the question, and I can't seem to find where to change the network on system preferences.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Nick, I just tried again and was able to switch networks, log in and now I'm in. Thanks for your response. Greatly appreciate it. Have a nice Sunday evening.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick, I just tried again and was able to switch networks, log in and now I'm in. Thanks for your response. Greatly appreciate it. Have a nice Sunday evening.

Great to hear. Looks like you found the "magic setup"!:) After the first successful time...it's always much easier!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.