I need help with the SMC for my Macbook

Reaction score
My problem with my Macbook is that it has an smc version 1.2f10 which looking up seems like it's for the MacBook Pro, I bought this macbook from craigslist so I really don't know what's going on but the fans are always at maximum rpm and my macbook thinks there are two fans like a macbook pro but it is only reading one that's currently running so that could be causing the maximum rpms, my macbook is a 4,1 early 2008 btw

Im just wondering what i can do to fix it, i tried to install the appropriate smc update from apple's website but it tells me i don't need it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Personally...whenever I purchase a "new to me" (used computer)...I always reformat the storage...and reinstall a fresh/new copy of the OS. This is always good insurance against any issues that may have been related to the previous owner.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Did you try downloading and installing the correct version from this Apple site?:

EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs

Otherwise maybe have a look for a compatible fan controller for your MacBook and OS X.
I'm using Mac fan controller, (can't remember the name) also I tried using the famous smcfan controller but it didn't let me use it and I have tried to apply the correct smc, i'm wondering if I can force install the original smc version that came with this Mac

OP
L
Reaction score
Personally...whenever I purchase a "new to me" (used computer)...I always reformat the storage...and reinstall a fresh/new copy of the OS. This is always good insurance against any issues that may have been related to the previous owner.

- Nick
Actually I replaced the hard drive and reinstalled Mac os x snow leopard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.