Mac Mini questions - formatting and rack mounting

Reaction score
Hiya. Just thinking out aloud with my next computer move. I currently own a MBP which is the core asset of my audio production workstation. Considering the laptop barely moves from its spot, i'm considering selling my MBP and buying a Mac Mini (and iPad) instead.

Specifically, i'm looking at a Mac Mini Server so I can take advantage of a dual HD system - something you most definitely need when mixing audio. I'm just wondering, if I buy a server edition, is it possible to format the machine to a regular version of Mavericks?

Also, I plan to rack mount this machine, but in doing so access to the on/off switch will really be impeded. But I recall Mac desktops had a "start up after power failure" check-box in the system preferences... is this feature still available in Mavericks, or is it a server only function? . And correct me if i'm wrong, but that means I can just use the wall switch to power up when needed?

And finally - I upgraded the HD and RAM in my MBP myself... if I should buy a base-spec Mac Mini, how hard to upgrade its HDs and RAM myself? Is this something that can be done at home or is it something that needs to be installed from the factory? I ask as I don't really like the price Apple charges for RAM or HDs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
1. there is no difference between the high end i7 Mac Mini and the server version, the only difference is the server software, so no need to get the server, just get the i7 mini

2. Its a os x feature in System Prefs > Energy Saver, its not a server specific option, so OK there

3. Yes, upgrade the RAM and HD yourself, if you go for the non server macMini, you have to purchase the cable needed to attach the second drive to the board before installation is possible.

OP
C
Reaction score
1. there is no difference between the high end i7 Mac Mini and the server version, the only difference is the server software, so no need to get the server, just get the i7 mini

That's good to know. I thought the server version may have been laid out a little differently to accommodate two internal drives. If a regular mini will do the job my choice is even easier.

Thanks for the input ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.