Time Machine used as a selective store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Hello all.

Hopefully this is a simple question, with an obvious answer which I'm missing. I've looked around the forum, and on the Apple pages, but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

Just got a new MBP retina and I don't want to fill it up with a lot of 'junk' I had on my old Macbook - but I do want some stuff from it (some pictures, videos, scripts, other odd assortments etc) I had backed up the old Macbook using Time Machine on an external HDD.

My question: Can I go into this back up and select the few items I want (They aren't in a single location, they will be all over the place. I was sloppy!)
(As well as the TM back up, I currently still have the old Macbook, if there's an easier way, machine to machine etc?)

Thanks. CB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would think it's better to use the Migration Assistant rather than try to restore selective items from Time Machine to your new MBP. It's possible to do it that way, however. Actually, as long as there is not a great amount of data to transfer, you may be better off doing it manually. That would give you greater control over the process.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
I would think it's better to use the Migration Assistant rather than try to restore selective items from Time Machine to your new MBP. It's possible to do it that way, however. Actually, as long as there is not a great amount of data to transfer, you may be better off doing it manually. That would give you greater control over the process.

Thanks, chscag. Good advice.

If I'm strict with myself, there won't be a lot to transfer, so the manual route may prevail.

No hurry, as I still have both machines.

Thanks, CB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I agree with Charlie.

Going into Time Machine and selecting just what you want will be better off for you. Migration Assistant, isn't good at picking something here, something there, and so on. I only use MA to bring across my Mac System Profile so its set up like it was on my old MacBook, and I bring across what I want manually.

Just remember, when it comes to Applications, its best to download and re-install them, because dragging them over, doesn't Install them per se. Meaning, it only brings across the Application itself, but doesn't install the parts into the System Files that need to be there for it to work how is should.. ie: Plugin, Extension and so on . .

HTH

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.