IPAD AIR will not recognize any accessory

Reaction score
I bought an 8 pin USB female adapter cable for the ipad, which is meant to connect accessories to the ipad air such as keyboards, camera, and midi controllers.
I originally got it so i could plug in midi controller and use garageband, but for some reason my ipad will not recognize anything that I plug in. I tried a normal keyboard and a USB speaker, and still nothing.
I looked on videos online and to my understanding something is suppose to pop up when you plug in an accessory - not even this is happening. I even tried a power USB hub and tried to plug in that and then plug in my stuff to the powered hub, and still nothing.

Is there something I am missing? Is there a setting I am suppose to change? Or did I just get an adapter online that doesnt work at all? The one I got is this one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPQUBGK/?tag=macforums0e4-20
It was pretty cheap which is the main reason I got it

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no guarantee the Lightning to USB adapter will work with all USB devices connected to your iPad. Your iPad will accept Bluetooth devices easy enough such as a keyboard but I don't think a USB keyboard will work although I could be wrong. Keep in mind your iPad operating system is iOS, not OS X which has built in drivers for USB devices.

Apple also sells a Lightning to SD card adapter and a camera connection kit for the older type connectors on iPads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 @ 3.5 GHz
I bought an 8 pin USB female adapter cable for the ipad, which is meant to connect accessories to the ipad air such as keyboards, camera, and midi controllers.
I originally got it so i could plug in midi controller and use garageband, but for some reason my ipad will not recognize anything that I plug in. I tried a normal keyboard and a USB speaker, and still nothing.

That cable is for iPad 4 and iPad Mini. Is that what you have? If so, I think it must be bad. If you have a different iPad, you are out of luck.

OP
J
Reaction score
That cable is for iPad 4 and iPad Mini. Is that what you have? If so, I think it must be bad. If you have a different iPad, you are out of luck.

I have the ipad air, I thought it was the first ipad to use the lightening connector? or did i get the wrong cable ?

and i know it wont work with all usb devices but i tried several different things plugged in and none worked

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have the ipad air, I thought it was the first ipad to use the lightening connector? or did i get the wrong cable ?

No, you have the right cable. The lightning connector is used on the iPad 4 and the iPad Air as well as the iPhone 5 series. The problem is as I stated... that USB devices are not guaranteed to work with iOS. Your iPad Air does not have built in drivers for USB whereas it does support Bluetooth devices.

The following Apple Support Discussion may help - it talks about using a USB flash drive with an iPad Air. Note the answers. LINK

OP
J
Reaction score
No, you have the right cable. The lightning connector is used on the iPad 4 and the iPad Air as well as the iPhone 5 series. The problem is as I stated... that USB devices are not guaranteed to work with iOS. Your iPad Air does not have built in drivers for USB whereas it does support Bluetooth devices.

The following Apple Support Discussion may help - it talks about using a USB flash drive with an iPad Air. Note the answers. LINK

yea i know but i have seen on video and also read several things online that said many usb keyboards and midi controllers are accepted, i have also seen videos of the exact item i am trying to use with the ipad perfectly fine (akai mpk mini, midi controller). and when u plug in a usb accessory, a popup comes up on the ipad, even if the device does not work when it says "this accessory is not supported" -- or at least this is what it used to say on the old IOS, not IOS 7.

and you or someone else confirm how to use an accessory in IOS 7? can someone tell me a common item or accessory that should normally work with OS 7 so i can test the adapter itself, or some other way to test the adapter ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you saw it on a video, then it's possible that some USB accessories may work. However, I don't off hand know of any except those that Apple says will work with the camera connection kit. Maybe someone else can provide the info for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.