IP Address

Reaction score
I keep getting a message that another computer is using my IP address. We have 2 computers on our WIFI network and this message comes up when one or the other of us is working and the other starts to work..do I need to configure something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Either set both to use DHCP or setup manual addresses for both of them - there most like is a mix of two, hence the conflict, or two manual ones set to the same address.

Also double-check the subnet masks, sometimes overlooked and can cause a conflict too.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you running a virtual machine on either of those computers. I think I have this issue every once in a while if I have to use internet through my Win XP virtual machine. I notice the error sometimes after I quit the virtual machine.

Not sure if that is the cause or merely a coincidence. It doesn't happen often enough for me to waste a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks

Either set both to use DHCP or setup manual addresses for both of them - there most like is a mix of two, hence the conflict, or two manual ones set to the same address.

Also double-check the subnet masks, sometimes overlooked and can cause a conflict too.

I'll check that I bet you've hit the nail on the head!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I just read my own message ... I really shouldn't touch the keyboard on Friday night ... lol

What I was trying to say is: "there, most likely, is a mix of two..." :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.