finder as image screener

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to restore the excellent Finder image screener function of Snow Leopard? A press of the spacebar previewed the image on a memory card, offering an import into iPhoto without having to go to full-screen as later OSX requires. Now I have two extra steps, select full-screen for access to the iPhoto import function, escape full-screen to go back to the Finder preview. It has really slowed my workflow.

Reaction score
Do you mean Quicklook? Press the spacebar while a pic is selected.

OP
W
Reaction score
quicklook

Quicklook works just fine, but the ability to select import into iPhoto is not available in later OSX iterations without going to full screen which slows the editing process. In SL, it was available the instant quicklook previewed the image. I don't imagine there's any way to fix this, but it sure slows things down, just as other "improvements" have encumbered the professional user with too much glitz and eye candy. In SL it was faster and more efficient than a bulk import and then deletion of image files.

Reaction score
Ah, I see what you mean. Mine just has a 'Open in Preview' button (Mavericks).
Let me look around. I may or may not find anything.

Edit: Ok, I found this on the Apple forums. May or may not work for you...

Quicklook imports photo to internal...: Apple Support Communities 2014-06-06 15-03-07 2014-06-06.png

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Quicklook is good since it doesn't require actually opening the file with an app. It's just distressing that Apple removed its most useful function, allowing one to import to iPhoto without having to open the file. It made for one of the quickest methods of screening and importing photo files.

C

chas_m

As has just been explained to you, Apple did not remove this function. Please re-read cradom's post above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As has just been explained to you, Apple did not remove this function. Please re-read cradom's post above.

Gheese, here we go again.

Why can't you Apple fanboys just admit that Apple F's up with some, and I dare a lot of their changes with their "new and improved" OS X versions???

Why remove such an efficient and simple procedure that worked so well with Snow Leopard?? And they seem to keep doing similar things or creating a multiple-click workaround method when a single click or two used to work.

And to solution above was not and is far from being a proper solution!!

If Apple "did not remove this function" as you state, why does the simple Snow Leopard method no longer work??? A lot of us don't want to have to use their "new and improved" Mavericks method of viewing an image in full window view just to get access to the old Add to iPhoto option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well I can let you know, if you want to upgrade to the Free Yosemite, then its back there, but you will have to wait.

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 08.57.44.png

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why can't you Apple fanboys just admit that Apple F's up with some, and I dare a lot of their changes with their "new and improved" OS X versions???

Let's keep this conversation on the polite side. OK? If you have any question about this please read our guidelines.

C

chas_m

It's a pity when someone who at first seems intelligent can't quite grasp the difference between "slightly changed" a function and "removed" it ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Works perfectly here (Mavericks). In Quicklook, right click the [Open in Preview] for a host of options - the second of which is [Add to iPhoto]. Job done!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try re-reading the OP's original question and post and the simpler and quicker method that worked with Snow Leopard.

That changed quite drastically with Mavericks, and not for the better for many. :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Try re-reading the OP's original question and post and the simpler and quicker method that worked with Snow Leopard.

That changed quite drastically with Mavericks, and not for the better for many. :-(

Don't see what you're getting at. Whats this 'full screen' business? One of us is doing something wrong and it's not me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't see what you're getting at. Whats this 'full screen' business? One of us is doing something wrong and it's not me.

If you are using Mavericks, are you actually able to just select the image and hit the spacebar and get the option to add to iPhoto as one could do in Snow Leopard.

Now, with Mavericks one has to either use the open the image in Preview or click the full screen arrow icon to access the add to iPhoto option.

If you get the first option method available to you, I and I'm sure the OP would sure like to know how you do so.

Reaction score
Re-read post #11. Press spacebar, right-click the "open with Preview" button, "Add to iPhoto"
Cant get much simpler. Thanks for that one Sawday!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Re-read post #11. Press spacebar, right-click the "open with Preview" button, "Add to iPhoto"
Cant get much simpler. Thanks for that one Sawday!

Finally it's now working for me.

I got some notices that there were some application updates today which I did and then decided to do a shutdown while I headed off for a Drs appointment.

Booted up when I got back home and saw and read the emails and decided to try the suggestion again, and low and behold the 'Add to iPhoto was then showing with a right click which it sure as H was not doing previously.

So thanks and finally working for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.