Keyboard for IPad

Reaction score
Hi there. I have the latest IPad Retina 7" and find it very bothersome to type a letter or a report on it. Someone replied to me that I could get a separate wireless keyboard. I looked into that and see I can buy that , but then remembered that I had bought a full size Apple keyboard for my Mackbook while doing accounting as I needed the adding keys on the right hand side. Can I use that one for my I pad ? I have plugged it in as it has the ports, but I don't seem to be able to get it to work, nothing happens and I can't find anything in settings. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
I think you need a bluetooth keyboard to use with the iPad. I have and Amazon basics that works very good with my iPad ll

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi there. I have the latest IPad Retina 7" and find it very bothersome to type a letter or a report on it. Someone replied to me that I could get a separate wireless keyboard. I looked into that and see I can buy that , but then remembered that I had bought a full size Apple keyboard for my Mackbook while doing accounting as I needed the adding keys on the right hand side. Can I use that one for my I pad ? I have plugged it in as it has the ports, but I don't seem to be able to get it to work, nothing happens and I can't find anything in settings. Thanks.

Hello - there is an overwhelming number of keyboard (KB) options for an iPad - most of these are Bluetooth (BT) compatible (i.e. wireless) - I've been using Apple's version w/ my iPad 2 for three years now; convenient to pack and easy setup; of course, there are many other third party makers of BT KBs. Another consideration is whether you want a keyboard built into a case for the iDevice or a stand alone option? There are wired choices, also but not as many - NOW, whether the wired KB you own will work w/ an iPad depends on the manufacturer - if not made to operate on an iPad, then you likely are out of luck.

For MUCH more information, please consult this recent review on iPad KBs HERE; also if possible, visit an Apple store (or other distributor of Apple products, such as Best Buy) - bring along your device and give some a try & ask a few questions regarding your particular needs. Good luck - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I second the suggestion to get an Amazon Basics BT keyboard. It's powered by two AAA batteries, has an on off switch and works well with my iPad 3. And it's compact enough to pack along with the iPad in a small case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 @ 3.5 GHz
I have used the bluetooth type and they are great. Be sure to shop around, there are many of them out there. You can get one that is perfect for your uses. Some are small and have a folding case for the iPad and others are full size and come with a stand for the iPad.

Maybe you can get the stand separately and use the old keyboard. Check the Apple site.

C

chas_m

I've been using a Logitech BT keyboard I got cheap, or on occasion the Apple BT keyboard that comes standard with most Macs (doesn't have the number pad you require). Most any Bluetooth full-size keyboard should work fine with the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I read not long ago that many of keyboards that will work don't support the extended keyboard keys nor many/any of the F keys etc., so I'd suggest checking before purchasing.

EDIT:

I just came across "Extended Keyboard" that might help:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/extended-keyboard/id431611075?mt=8

At least some working display screen workspace is left useable. ;-)

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.