moving system files to a second HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" (2010) 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 250GB SSD & 750 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 10.10
I've looked around but can't really find a definitive/best answer.

i've recently replaced my optical drive in my macbook pro for an SSD, what i'd like to do is have only the system files/applications on my SSD and my Logic pro project folder.

my main drive currently has 700GB on it but i'm moving about 200GB onto an external drive (1TB) and my SSD is 250GB (nothing on it). What is the best way to get the system files onto the SSD but keep the documents, downloads, desktop, movies, pictures and music folders on the normal HDD?

i'd like to do a clean install but i don't think i have the original install files for a bunch of things i use, unless there's a way to copy them off the backup without having to re install?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to place the system files on the SSD you will have to install Mavericks on it. Also keep in mind that you now have the SSD in the optical drive position which is IDE not SATA. For best results, the SSD should be installed to the SATA position. (main drive)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Actually, one of the advantages of mid-2010 MBPro is that both optical and main drives are on SATA - my MBP reports same Intel 5 series chipset and 3Gbps bus for both. Indeed, the BlackMagic performance levels are pretty much identical for both drives.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

i'd like to do a clean install but i don't think i have the original install files for a bunch of things i use, unless there's a way to copy them off the backup without having to re install?

Here's what you want to do to get OS installed on your SSD:

- Boot your MBP normally from the 700gig drive.
- Redownload Mavericks (don't double click on the downloaded file)
- Create a Mavericks bootable installer (need an 8gig or more USB stick)
- Boot the computer from the freshly created Mavericks bootable installer.
- Install Mavericks on the SSD.

Having a OS installer like this can come in very handy…so making one can have more use than just installing the OS on your SSD.

Do an internet search for the procedure for making a bootable Mavericks installer (lots & lots of sites for this).:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
In order to place the system files on the SSD you will have to install Mavericks on it. Also keep in mind that you now have the SSD in the optical drive position which is IDE not SATA. For best results, the SSD should be installed to the SATA position. (main drive)

Ive done exactly this in my 2012 MBP and used a OWC Data Doubler in the Optical Bay to house my SDD. Works a treat, is simple to install and have not had a single hiccup yet.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what you want to do to get OS installed on your SSD:

- Boot your MBP normally from the 700gig drive.
- Redownload Mavericks (don't double click on the downloaded file)
- Create a Mavericks bootable installer (need an 8gig or more USB stick)
- Boot the computer from the freshly created Mavericks bootable installer.
- Install Mavericks on the SSD.

Having a OS installer like this can come in very handy…so making one can have more use than just installing the OS on your SSD.

Do an internet search for the procedure for making a bootable Mavericks installer (lots & lots of sites for this).:)

HTH,

- Nick

could i not boot from the original install disk and install that onto the SSD and the upgrade to mavericks? so i don't need to make the usb thing you mentioned?

also once ive done that can i use something like CCC to move the users folder to the regular HDD so the SSD only has the system files?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, one of the advantages of mid-2010 MBPro is that both optical and main drives are on SATA - my MBP reports same Intel 5 series chipset and 3Gbps bus for both. Indeed, the BlackMagic performance levels are pretty much identical for both drives.

thats a relief.. didn't want to have to open it up and switch them over!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
could i not boot from the original install disk and install that onto the SSD and the upgrade to mavericks? so i don't need to make the usb thing you mentioned?

Creating a Mavericks USB drive, as Nick suggested, is the best option, really.
And future-proof too - very handy, when/if you need access to install files.

I have been re-using the cute little MacBook Air USB drive for this purpose since Snow Leopard - no chance of forgetting which of those USB sticks got my current OS X on ;)

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont think i want to start fresh on my new drive as i have a lot of stuff installed on here i wouldn't remember half the things i've added.

I've moved all the data out of the folders (music, pictures etc) to an external drive so my hard drives used space is smaller than the SSD, i was going to then clone the drive to my SSD using CCC and then wipe the original drive. once cloned i was going to see if i can move the user folder to the original drive off the SSD so the SSD will only have the system files on it and then move all the data from the external drive back into the corresponding folders.

does that sound ok or will i run into problems?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If you could do this all along…why did you start the thread (or at least part of the thread)?

If you remove the optical drive from your MBP…and install the SSD…you won't have an optical drive to boot from. Unless you already have an external optical drive…or install the MBP's removed optical drive into an external case.

But again…if you are able to boot the computer from an OS install DVD (then upgrade to Mavericks via download)…then I'm not really sure where the trouble is getting an OS installed on the SSD (which I thought was one of the original issues mentioned in the original post)??:Confused:

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you could do this all along…why did you start the thread (or at least part of the thread)?

If you remove the optical drive from your MBP…and install the SSD…you won't have an optical drive to boot from. Unless you already have an external optical drive…or install the MBP's removed optical drive into an external case.

But again…if you are able to boot the computer from an OS install DVD (then upgrade to Mavericks via download)…then I'm not really sure where the trouble is getting an OS installed on the SSD (which I thought was one of the original issues mentioned in the original post)??:Confused:

- Nick

No i know how i could get an OS on the SSD but that would require me re installing everything again which was my problem i mentioned in the original post, i was basically trying to find the best way to get the system files onto the SSD and everything else on the other HDD without re-installing anything.

I've researched how to do it but it came up with all sorts of methods and people commenting on "how to" articles saying it doesn't work, i just wanted clarification from you guys if the method i've chosen will work as you've really helped me out in the past.

Oh and the kit to change the optical drive for an SSD comes with a external USB case for the optical drive, booting from the install disk wasn't mentioned so thought i'd ask.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No i know how i could get an OS on the SSD but that would require me re installing everything again which was my problem i mentioned in the original post, i was basically trying to find the best way to get the system files onto the SSD and everything else on the other HDD without re-installing anything.

Personally I feel that it's best to just do a fresh install OS on the SSD (or any new bootable drive. You could "clone" the drive (with something like Super Duper or CCC)…but I think that you only wanted the OS files and apps on the new SSD.

This thread is now almost 24 hours old. If you had started the OS installing via disk yesterday…it would have been done longgg ago!;)

Oh and the kit to change the optical drive for an SSD comes with a external USB case for the optical drive, booting from the install disk wasn't mentioned so thought i'd ask.

I would have mentioned this (it's certainly an obvious & common method)…but:

- it sounded like (from the original post)…that you didn't have an optical drive to work with.
- you may not have had an OS install DVD to work with
- you may have had a newer MBP that couldn't run the last OS that came on disk (10.6)

Installing the OS from disk is such a common method (if someone has a disk & computer that can do it)…I would have thought you would have done it automatically.:)

Just "keep things simple". Install the OS on the SSD from the OS install disk you have…then upgrade to Mavericks via download.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWheeler, the reason fresh install is recommended by many people here, is that it is the best way to deal with the situation, particularly since, you're not just swapping drives, but adding one and moving the system over to it.

Yes, you can clone your main drive with CCC to your new SSD, but due to SSD's smaller size (and a couple of other factors), there might be complications...

Before you do anything, have your entire main drive cloned to a larger external drive, do a fresh TimeMachine backup, and please create a Mavericks USB stick, even if you're not inclined to do a fresh install.

I understand your reluctance to go through setting up everything on a new drive, but you can always use TM backup to move your user settings/apps over, providing the new drive is big enough to accommodate ...

Reaction score
There is no need for new install, why not just clone the drive that's what i would do, in fact thats what i did when i upgraded my had drive!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no need for new install, why not just clone the drive that's what i would do, in fact thats what i did when i upgraded my had drive!

That was already mentioned just two posts up.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
That was already mentioned just two posts up.:)

- Nick

I am aware of that, but if you read his post he wants to have the OS on one drive and the stored files on another... why would u do a new install when you can clone and delete/transfer files... you seem to be confusing the question.

Thanks for being observant though ....

Happy Friday :D

Reaction score

i've recently replaced my optical drive in my macbook pro for an SSD, what i'd like to do is have only the system files/applications on my SSD and my Logic pro project folder.

my main drive currently has 700GB on it but i'm moving about 200GB onto an external drive (1TB) and my SSD is 250GB (nothing on it). What is the best way to get the system files onto the SSD but keep the documents, downloads, desktop, movies, pictures and music folders on the normal HDD?

I strongly suggest to put the SSD in the main bay. And put the (old) HDD in the optical Bay.
Put System, Applications and Home Folder on the SSD. Then you can place Documents, Movies, Pictures, Music, Books, and other user data to the HDD.
LexS

Reaction score
I strongly suggest to put the SSD in the main bay. And put the (old) HDD in the optical Bay.
Put System, Applications and Home Folder on the SSD. Then you can place Documents, Movies, Pictures, Music, Books, and other user data to the HDD.
LexS

I concur!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am aware of that, but if you read his post he wants to have the OS on one drive and the stored files on another... why would u do a new install when you can clone and delete/transfer files... you seem to be confusing the question.

Thanks for being observant though ....

Happy Friday :D

I've actually been very involved in this thread…so there's really no need for me to "read his post".

Although your idea would work…not all users are comfortable deleting/transferring all unnecessary files from one storage device to another storage device.

We also don't know how "gunked-up" the OP's original HD is…so a fresh OS install on the new SSD may actually be a good move as well.

- Nick

p.s. You may also want to adjust the attitude & snide remarks. We like to keep things friendly around here. We have places for folks that don't wish to comply.;)

Reaction score
Yes but the thing here is moving OS and apps not just OS if it was a simple OS xfer yea that would be fine but you don't know how many apps there are installed if nothings wrong why not clone.....

BE NICE OR THE INTERNET GODS WILL BAN LOL sorry "admin" O:)

I've actually been very involved in this thread…so there's really no need for me to "read his post".

Although your idea would work…not all users are comfortable deleting/transferring all unnecessary files from one storage device to another storage device.

We also don't know how "gunked-up" the OP's original HD is…so a fresh OS install on the new SSD may actually be a good move as well.

- Nick

p.s. You may also want to adjust the attitude & snide remarks. We like to keep things friendly around here. We have places for folks that don't wish to comply.;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.