USB flash drives permanently plugged in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Perhaps a somewhat silly question, but nonetheless:

Is there any negative effect, and/or longevity implications, in having USB sticks permanently plugged into a USB hub?

I have a couple of Luxio 128GB sticks*, I use for backup via rsync for sensitive files/docs, and one of these is permanently connected. I really wouldn't want to shorten its life ...

To be honest, I can't think of any reason, why it would be detrimental to a flash storage device, after all, everything inside my MBPro is basically the same (storage I mean - I know the difference between USB stick and laptop battery ... I think) :Smirk:

* I might well be nearing the time, when I have to replace these anyway, but then I remember, how much I paid for those, four years ago, and, when I stop crying, I think - maybe another six months ... lol :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there any negative effect, and/or longevity implications, in having USB sticks permanently plugged into a USB hub?

I don't think that there should be an issue.:)

The only thing I'm thinking is (since this USB hub is plugged into a MBP...which I'm assuming is mobile sometimes). As long as the items plugged into the hub are properly "ejected" (by dragging them to the trash before unplugging the hub)…I think that everything should be ok.

If the hub is just "yanked-out" (with the USB drives plugged into it) when the MBP needs to be mobile…this could lead to computer/usb drive "confusion".

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have multiple USB sticks at the office that never get unplugged except when being moved to a new computer - have several that have lasted through 2-3 computers (6 to 8+ yrs) that do nothing but hold daily Excel backups.

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
The only thing I'm thinking is (since this USB hub is plugged into a MBP...which I'm assuming is mobile sometimes). As long as the items plugged into the hub are properly "ejected" (by dragging them to the trash before unplugging the hub)…I think that everything should be ok.

Thanks Nick,

I actually prefer to use eject icons in Finder, one-by-one, instead of dragging to trash (unless it's just one drive), but that's the same thing, obviously... I always rather careful about disconnecting my drives :Smirk:

Incidentally, I learned not to disconnect the power, once the MBP lead is closed and it's put to sleep - USB3 hub drops it's clients ... don't remember that happening with old USB2 hubs :\

Last edited:
OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have multiple USB sticks at the office that never get unplugged except when being moved to a new computer - have several that have lasted through 2-3 computers (6 to 8+ yrs) that do nothing but hold daily Excel backups.

Great, thanks. I shall continue the same practice then ... it's very convenient to just fire up rsync at will to backup that important last minute [whatever it is] ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I actually prefer to use eject icons in Finder, one-by-one, instead of dragging to trash (unless it's just one drive), but that's the same thing, obviously... I always rather careful about disconnecting my drives :Smirk:

I usually only have one item plugged in at a time...that's why I usually drag to the trash. Just a habit I guess.:) Either way...both are Finder functions & achieve the same result.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.