Mounting help

Reaction score
Hey, I apologize if this is in the wrong spot.
This is my first time trying to mount something on a Mac and I need some help. This is a 10.6.8 version, and when I try to open up the .dmg file with the disk image mounter, it brings up this program(?) called VideoPlayer_MPlayerX to do the mounting. Problem is, when I click on it, it says I'm unable to use it unless the Mac is 10.7 or higher due to compatibility issues.

I've gone into the Disk Utility to try to manually mount it but it wont let me as the option is unclickable. Any other fiddling brings me back to the above mentioned default disk mounter. I've tried searching online for a previous version but cant find any info in-general on this mounting program except for MPlayerX but that didnt help.

So my question is, is there any other disk mounting program I can download that will work (I downloaded one just called "Mount" and has a horse icon, but opening the file with it just opens up the other mounter instead)? I've been googling and cant find anything. Or am I kinda stuck here without one unless I upgrade this laptop to 10.7 or higher? I'm pretty wary on upgrading it cus I dunno much about Macs and if OS upgrading is anything like Windows, I'd rather not lose everything on here.

Reaction score
Right-click on the .dmg and select Open With...
Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices and select DiskImageMounter
Better yet, do a Get Info on a .dmg, down where it says Open With, select DiskImageMounter and tic the Change All button.

Edit: rereading things, are you saying after the image mounts there's a window with VideoPlayer in it? It seems you have a newer version which will not run on Snow Leopard.

OP
R
Reaction score
It wont mount. It starts to but the default program to do this wont follow through due to compatibility issues. What I'm asking is if there's an alternative program I can use to get this to mount cus I cant find an older version of the one already on here. I'd like to know if there's anything else I can try before attempting to upgrade the OS instead.

Reaction score
DiskImageMounter is part of the system. There shouldn't be any compatibility issues with it as .dmg's don't really change.
If it's trying to mount a .dmg with something else there's something seriously wrong somewhere.
DiskImageMounter cant use anything else to mount a .dmg because it IS what mounts .dmg's.
I think there's some confusion somewhere. Double-click on a .dmg and take a screen shot of what happens, (command-shift-3) before clicking on anything else.
Post it here.

OP
R
Reaction score
That's what I thought, but the part where the one on here is for 10.7 or higher is a problem considering this is 10.6.8. It's using the DiskImageMounter that's apart of the system, but it's not compatible with the system.
I got a picture but I dont know how to post it here.

Reaction score
Start a post, click on the 'Go Advanced' button. scroll down to where it says Manage Attachments. Click on Upload, select the pic, click upload...

but the part where the one on here is for 10.7 or higher is a problem considering this is 10.6.8. It's using the DiskImageMounter that's apart of the system, but it's not compatible with the system.

Huh?

OP
R
Reaction score
This is what happens. The default DiskImageMounter isnt compatible with the computer it's on.

Screen shot 2014-06-05 at 6.38.45 PM.png

Reaction score
Ok, that's what I thought. The .dmg is mounted. You're trying to run VideoPlayer_MPlayerX from that .dmg. That version of VideoPlayer is not compatible with your OS. This is nothing to do with mounting and DiskImageMounter will not open/run VideoPlayer.
I suggest you find a version of VideoPlayer that is for your OS or find another player that will work.
Or upgrade to 10.7 if your computer can handle it.
And drag this to the Trash to unmount it.

Mounting help - Mac-Forums Discussions for Apple Products & Services 2014-06-05 17-50-07 2014-06.png

OP
R
Reaction score
So does this mean the file will never be able to get used unless I get a different video player? Cus I opened up the Disk Utility option and it doesnt say the file is mounted, and when I try to open it, that video player just keeps attaching itself to it. It's not even a video file. But I downloaded a different video player earlier and cant figure out how to make it use that instead.

Reaction score
You don't mount files. You can open them with an app that can open them.
You don't run apps from a .dmg. You need to install them to the Applications folder and run them from there.
If it's a video file, try Quicktime. Exactly what kind of file is it? What is the extension, if any?

By the way, looking at your screenshot I see a Torrent app. If you're trying to open illegal downloaded torrents all help stops here.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
R
Reaction score
No, nothing illegal, that torrent thing isnt mine. But thanks for the help, I got it working, it was a broken 'file' or whatever it's called and I'm assuming just confused the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And confused the computer user as well it seems... :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.