• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Macbook speed versus iPad speed

Reaction score
I just bought myself a new iPad Air and it does not appear as fast as my MacBook air. When I say fast, I am referring to the time it takes to load a web page. I am at the same distance to my router with the MacBook and the iPad. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
At this stage you still have 2 operating systems ( iOS and OS X ) and comparing speeds between the 2 is impossible, let alone the differences in hardware.
They are very different machines :)

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does anyone have an explanation for this?

As member McBie stated, you're not only trying to compare two completely different devices but also two entirely unrelated operations systems.

OP
S
Reaction score
I understand it is like comparing a Ducati 1098s motorcycle to a Volvo family wagon. The issue isn't whether if a Ducati is better than the Volvo, more reliable or 'more bang for the buck' or vice versa, however when talking solely in terms of speed, wouldn't you say the Ducati is faster?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Ipad Air is the fastest SOC in a tablet to date, but it's still not as fast as any Intel say i5 or whatever is in your Air. Browsing should be even snappier on the Air especially pages that use heavy Java and Flash and need a lot of CPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 @ 3.5 GHz
I am referring to the time it takes to load a web page.

I am guessing you are talking about WiFi.

The difference is not the wifi. It is the graphics engine. The MacBook graphics is faster than the iPad graphics. They may get the page at the same speed but the iPad takes longer to draw it.

As an aside, try pressing the option key and clicking the wifi rainbow. You get a diagnostic choice. Go there and in the wifi diagnostic window press command 2.
In that window select the last item. Performance.

You can use the MacBook at both locations and see the actual wifi performance at each. That will let you know if it is the wifi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
This is like comparing apples to oranges (even though they're both Apples in this case)...

By way of example I have an Asus EeePC & (am getting rid of) a 2012 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1; both have 2GB of RAM, the netbook has a dual-core Atom processor while the tablet has a quad-core Exynos processor (both clocked at 1.4GHz) - they both run Linux, Ubuntu on the netbook & Android on the tablet - by rights, the tablet should be faster, but the tablet is actually significantly laggier... Not just because of Samsung's awful TouchWiz UI, but also because - by necessity - an uncooled mobile device will always have to run slower than equivalent "desktop" hardware with cooling.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.