Corrupt 'downloads' folder - Suggestions Welcome!

Reaction score
Hi,
My 'downloads' folder has been corrupt for quite some time now - about a year, to be more specific. Every time one accidentally selects it or you are trying to download some stuff and you get a window with save in downloads *default* the system comes to a halt. This has been affecting my work - more so in the last few weeks. I am not able to delete the folder nor open it so as to delete the contents. How do I go about it? What would the rest of you advice? Is there a way to get out of this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forums.
What type of Mac are you using and what is the version of your Operating System ?

When you select the " downloads " folder, the system comes to a halt ..... what makes you think that the system comes to a halt ..... do you need to reboot the system to continue ?
A suggestion might be to create a new folder to store your downloads. ( don't forget to update your browser preferences :)

Cheers ... McBie

OP
A
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
What type of Mac are you using and what is the version of your Operating System ?

When you select the " downloads " folder, the system comes to a halt ..... what makes you think that the system comes to a halt ..... do you need to reboot the system to continue ?
A suggestion might be to create a new folder to store your downloads. ( don't forget to update your browser preferences :)

Cheers ... McBie

Thank you :)

I use Version 10.6.8 with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 processor. What usually happens is that when I end up clicking on the downloads folder, I get the system working symbol which goes on forever. To get the machine going again, I am having to relaunch finder or restart the machine.

The trouble is when some websites automatically set the download folder as "downloads" folder on the comp, it opens up and refuses to close. All work in the background also gets disrupted in the process.

I will now update my browser preferences like you suggested. Thank you once again. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
1) Websites do not set the download folder ..... you define that yourself in the browser preferences.
2) If the spinning beach ball appears when you click a folder, it may well he that there are a huge number of files/subfolders in that folder...... as a suggestion, click the downloads folder before you go to sleep and see what the result is in the morning.
3) I have never experienced a folder ' corruption' so we have to troubleshoot by eliminating things.

I am sure another member will chime in and help as well.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.