erratic unruly cursor

Reaction score
Random cursor does not follow the track pad or mouse. Erratic lurching about the screen. Odd behaviors include zooming in and out. Yellow highlights of random words on both web pages and text documents. I have purchased a new mouse and avoid any RF devices that could interfere with the internal electronics. I'm on a deadline for completing a script for a live radio broadcast. I see numerous people have posted the same problem but though there are many theories and solutions proposed I have not been able to duplicate a successful fix. Help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of Mac: year and model? If it's a portable Mac (MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc), open it up and check the battery to see if it has swelled. A battery that has swelled will cause erratic jumping about on the screen as it pushes up on the trackpad. Only cure is to change out the battery for a new one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's a fairly new MacBook Pro 2012 OS X 10.8.5 with no removable battery

FYI...thread was posted in the "Desktops" area. When I first read your post (a while ago)...I assumed you had a desktop computer. Since you have a "MacBook Pro"...this opens up other possibilities as far as a solution (since laptops/notebooks have a builtin trackpad...and desktops don't).

Also...this thread is about a notebook computer...the thread should have been posted in the "Notebook" area (right below the "Desktop" choice).;) Thread has been moved.:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Erratic Unruly Cursor

Random cursor does not follow the track pad or mouse. Erratic lurching about the screen. Odd behaviors include zooming in and out. Yellow highlights of random words on both web pages and text documents. I have purchased a new mouse and avoid any RF devices that could interfere with the internal electronics. I'm on a deadline for completing a script for a live radio broadcast. I see numerous people have posted the same problem but though there are many theories and solutions proposed I have not been able to duplicate a successful fix. MacBook Pro 2012 OS X 10.8.5.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Random cursor does not follow the track pad or mouse. Erratic lurching about the screen. Odd behaviors include zooming in and out. Yellow highlights of random words on both web pages and text documents. I have purchased a new mouse and avoid any RF devices that could interfere with the internal electronics. I'm on a deadline for completing a script for a live radio broadcast. I see numerous people have posted the same problem but though there are many theories and solutions proposed I have not been able to duplicate a successful fix. MacBook Pro 2012 OS X 10.8.5.

It is not necessary to start a 2nd exact same thread for this topic. Threads merged.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How long since you have rebooted? Next question how long since Permissions have been repaired? Do you use Onyx for maintenance chores - best recommended here?

Reaction score
Do you have an external monitor connected? Is it on? If not that can cause those type of problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 5K, ElCapitan 10.11.3, Airport Extr, 15" MacBook Pro, Mavericks, 10.9.3, iPad 3, iPhone 6S
I had a similar problem. My Magic Mouse with my MBP 15" 2011 vintage would not behave. The curser would not move normally horizontally, just vertically when using the mouse. It would move normally with the track pad on the MBP. I use a 24" external monitor and an external wireless keyboard. The batteries in the Magic Mouse were new. I went to System Preferences and ran through the mouse settings. All looked normal. So, I rebooted the MBP (Mavericks 10.9.3) and the mouse started to behave normally. Haven't seen that problem again. I really thought my Magic Mouse was bad. Working fine now. Sometimes just rebooting will fix lots of things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.