How to have Apple TV Audio on my Home Theater System?

Reaction score
I have Apple TV which is connected to my TV by HDMI but I was wondering how I can have my home theater system play sound instead of my TV... My home theater has only one HDMI slot which I am using to connect it to the TV for watching movies etc... Is there any way of making the audio from Apple TV play on my home theater speakers? If there is, what do I need to do? My home theater does not have optical wires or anything.:(
track.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You can use optical out (Toslink cable) on the ATV for 5.1 while still using the HDMI for picture which is exactly what I do.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are a variety of ways to do this depending upon the capabilities of your receiver. Mine for example has several HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. What I am able to do is run all the gear into the stereo and then run one output to the tv.

A bonus to tis arrangement is that I can plat the sound two different ways. Using the HDMI feed my wife can hear the sound through the TV without needing to have the stereo on. When I want surround sound I can turn on the stereo which is connected to the ATV via the optical connection.

BTW if your receiver doesn't have enough HDMI connections there are some switches that can give you additional connections.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.