Macbook Pro-Wake Up to Black Screen

Reaction score
Hello ya'll,

I have a late model 2013 rMBP 15" with 16 GB of Ram and 2.3 GHz i7. When I bought the computer back in December I went ahead and bought the 1 TB hard drive.
Now that I got that out of the way, here is my problem. Sometimes, when I wake my Mac up by moving or clicking the mouse, and having put it to sleep using hot corners, the screen will light up and the mouse will be visible, but the rest of the screen is black. This hasn't yet happened while opening my Mac from sleep, but that doesn't mean it will not.
So my question is this, does anyone have an idea of why this might happen, whether it will present a problem later on down the line, and what I may do to fix it. It hasn't become a problem yet as I simply put it to sleep by closing it, give it a second, and open it back up. It is more of an annoyance at the moment.
I should also mention that while the black screen is displayed, hot corners no longer work, preventing me from putting it back to sleep that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Sometimes, when I wake my Mac up by moving or clicking the mouse, and having put it to sleep using hot corners, the screen will light up and the mouse will be visible, but the rest of the screen is black.

I'm assuming here that you mean you can see the mouse on the screen against an all black background after using a hot corner and mouse movement? I'm asking because if the screen lights up, it can't be black?

Anyway, try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC). Follow the instructions as given in the following Apple KB article. If that doesn't work and it continues to do the same thing, it might be best to let Apple have a look at it. Your machine should still be under warranty.

OP
W
Reaction score
Sorry, I should've explained it better. The backlight comes on and the screen powers up, but it is as if there is a black background, no icons, dock, or menu bar.

This happens after I have put the Mac to sleep using a hot corner, and then attempt to wake it up. At this point I can move the mouse around all I want, but since there is nothing to select, it is in effect useless until I close the computer, putting it back to sleep, and then open it to wake it up again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for clarifying. That sounds more like a loss of video rather than raster. Go ahead and try the SMC reset and if it doesn't work to restore the video on wake up, I would definitely have Apple take a look at it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.