Intel Pro Mac lost power unable to power on

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday I was working on Intel Mac Pro 3.2 quad core when I heard the "startup click" the machine makes when you turn it on and then my Mac powered down. After words I was unable to power it up again. It is dead, no sound, no fans spinning, just dead.

I have this Mac on a UPS and in the couple of months or so I've had it, this is the first time I experienced any trouble. I've read this may be the power on switch in a few cases but mainly the PS. I had an older Mac Pro that in the past shut off once or twice on me but after that it worked fine.

I saw the power switch panel. Can one jump the contacts on the power switch to see if the Mac powers on and if so switch combination?

Thank you for your time in answering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like dead power supply. Only option if that is correct, replacement needed. Also some models have a fuse which can blow. Another suggestion, any chance you are using the Mac Pro with a circuit breaker? If so try without the breaker, and also change the power lead.

And what model UPS? I use an iBox with my iMac but for a MAc Pro much stronger unit needed. Tried disconnecting the UPS?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don't know if this unit has a breaker or not. The PS for these units is expensive. The UPS is fine. I checked the voltage at the power cord and is fine. Any issues with power and the UPS would sound off.

This is the first PS I had go out in all the models of Macs I've owned. What I've read on line it looks as these units have some issues with their PS. Given their expense and proprietary nature, I'm a little hesitant. Any recommendations of sources for these PS's.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
B
Reaction score
This family of Mac has a small button similar to the one located high on the motherboard for resetting the system. This button is located through the top memory riser opening. You will need a long screwdriver or such to reach into that cavity.

Next to it are a series of LED lights that show a sequence when the button is pressed. This is what is used to diagnose issues of Macs not powering properly on yet still show some power reaching the mainbd/fans or power off after a short time. This shows if its the MB, PS or CPU is defective. I don't know the codes though you could always call an Apple store and ask.

In my case it is simple as the LED's didn't come on as I had no power. I was able to obtain a used PS from a friend for this family of Macs and installed and all worked fine. It's been running fine for days now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my case it is simple as the LED's didn't come on as I had no power. I was able to obtain a used PS from a friend for this family of Macs and installed and all worked fine. It's been running fine for days now.

Very good…congrats on finding a solution!:) Sounds like the power supply was indeed the issue.

Hope you had fun removing/installing the power supplies. I've done this…and although it is not super difficult…it does require some patience to do everything carefully and safely.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Finnicky is the word Nick .. finnicky.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.