Startup Message

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Desktop, 10.11.3 El Capitan
Most every time that I start my Mac Desktop (OS X 10.9.3 I get a msg."Scheduler wants to make changes - please enter your PW". This seems to me to be an error but how do I correct this? Thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Most every time that I start my Mac Desktop (OS X 10.9.3 I get a msg."Scheduler wants to make changes - please enter your PW". This seems to me to be an error but how do I correct this? Thanks

To my knowledge "Scheduler" is a Utility app that allows you to schedule certain tasks, internet downloads and Apple Scripts applets. If you have installed this or are running it in the background you need to check it's preferences and appointed tasks. Look in Utilities and open the app.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There doesn't seem to be any app named "Scheduler" in my Apps. Nor do I find it listed in Utilities - nor can I find it with "Finder"? What's up with that? Thanks for your help- all is appreciated.
samfromhernando

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not start another thread when the subject and problem is the same. Both threads have been combined together.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There doesn't seem to be any app named "Scheduler" in my Apps. Nor do I find it listed in Utilities - nor can I find it with "Finder"? What's up with that? Thanks for your help- all is appreciated.
samfromhernando

Sorry Sam not much help then. There are some native apps that allow you to set timed actions like Mail but I would have expected more info in the window, eg "Mail Scheduler wants to make changes" do you have any other software that performs automatic actions like a backup task?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod for the reply. In answer to your question, no, I do not believe I have any other apps which perform "automatic" actions like this. Also, the msg. doesn't say "Mail" Scheduler - rather, it simply says "Scheduler wants to make adjustments"!! The msg. appears when I first hit "Enter" to start the Mac - not when I open my Mail app - or even Safari. It appears to be strictly confined to the Mac itself - not any particular App! Does that make sense?
Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Anything in System Preferences > Users & groups > Login Items?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I've not seen your helps sooner - been under the weather. I looked in "Sys Prefs" and "User Groups". then under Login Items these three appeared in a column: Under "Kind" I found these three items listed:.. Found "Boom" _(unknown kind), "Ituneshelper" (Application kind) and "Genieo" (unknown.kind) None were checked but were listed as "Opening automatically" at Startup.
Any problems with this?
Thanks tons Harryb2448

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've "Dumped" all three. I never use iTunes and I have no idea as to where the Boom and Geneio things came from.
Thanks there "Down Under"!!!! Appreciate the help.
If I discover a problem with this, can you tell me how to reverse this?
No matter if you cannot - I'm sure it'll be fine.
Thanks Mate!!!
Sam from Mississippi, USA.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've "Dumped" all three. I never use iTunes and I have no idea as to where the Boom and Geneio things came from.
Thanks there "Down Under"!!!! Appreciate the help.
If I discover a problem with this, can you tell me how to reverse this?
No matter if you cannot - I'm sure it'll be fine.
Thanks Mate!!!
Sam from Mississippi, USA.

Sam you might want to have a look at this article on Geneio 7 Ways to Delete Genieo - wikiHow. Boom is a sound enhancement app available on the app store should be harmless but does make some system changes. As for iTunes helper check this article here; iTunesHelper – What does iTunes Helper do? | OSXDaily

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod! I think you've been a great help. I've now got three less apps running and I can tell that my Mac is responding quicker. However, this morning as I clicked "Enter" to awaken my Mac, the "window" with "Scheduler wants to make changes - enter your PW below" appeared again". I had restarted the Mac and am still confused here.
My problem is not yours tho and if you do not care to proceed then I understand. I do so appreciate all thought you've put into this problem and if you have other ideas, they will be appreciated.
G'day Mate!!

C

chas_m

Start up in Safe mode (holding the shift key down forever on startup until you see the safe mode message) and let us know if you still get the request from Scheduler.

I'd lay huge odds that you've downloaded and installed something like a system utility that wants to run maintenance scripts on its own schedule.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas_m:
I did as you suggested and it didn't give me the window to enter my PW for Scheduler - but, it doesn't give me the window EVERY time I start up - only some times - so as far as I can tell, there's nothing definite here.
If my Mac has downloaded a "System Utility" (other than the one which came on the Mac) it has done it on it's own and without my knowledge.
I'll go to Bing and learn how to SEE every app which is running every time I wake my the Mac. That' may not tell me anything tho because I'm not an advanced user - instead, I'm a 74 yr old Disabled American Veteran who loves this Mac and wants it to run smoothly.
Thanks much for your help and if you have other suggestions I'd love to see them.
Thanks
Sam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.