to iMac or not to iMac.... Advice wanted.

Reaction score
I have an iMac from early 2008. I love it, use it every day but it is dying a slow death (for the second time, new HD fixed it in 2010).
I was planning on buying a new one during the tax free shopping weekend in TN in August, and was keeping my eyes on the rumors that a price drop/refresh would be announced at WWDC.

As the WWDC announcement didnt come, should I still take advantage of the tax free weekend (and back 2 school promo), or wait for a possible Sept/Oct refresh?
If a new iMac is purchased in August, and a refresh is released within 30days, does apple allow returns/upgrades? Do they give you credit?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The question (suggested by the thread title)…is not "To iMac or not to iMac?" I think that your question really is…"Buy now or buy later?"

If I had $1.00 for every time this question was asked…I could retire today!;)

Basically the answer is…there is always something around the corner. If you can wait…wait. And if you can't…then buy now.

- Nick

p.s. As far as the buy & return question. Apple currently has a 14 day return period.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As the WWDC announcement didnt come, should I still take advantage of the tax free weekend (and back 2 school promo), or wait for a possible Sept/Oct refresh?

Savings from no sales tax can be significant plus a possible rebate or iTunes gift card (back to school promo) would make purchasing hard to pass up. As Nick stated, Apple has a 14 day money back policy but I personally don't think we'll see an iMac refresh before September - October. The last iMac refresh was November 2013 and the time between iMac refreshes has varied from 9 to 18 months.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also consider a refurbished iMac. The savings on a refurbished iMac can many times exceed the tax savings on a brand new iMac.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.