Hyperlink email address in email body

Reaction score
when I type an email address into the body of a mail (I'm using Mac mail), it automatically hyperlinks the email address, but not the entire address. In the below example it typically only underlines [email protected] instead of underlining the entire address: [email protected]
How can I make it recognise the entire address?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
It should hyperlink the entire address, unless there's a gap between co. and za
Mail certainly does not discriminate against dual TLD - I know, as most of my domains are (co.uk, org.uk, me.uk, etc, etc)
Even doing something silly, like adding a few TLDs one after another, doesn't break the hyperlink:

ScreenShot2014-06-04at133949_zpsa9d21a42.png~original

actual Mail screenshot

Depending on your 'Composing' settings, you might not see hyperlinks underlined, while typing, until you save the draft or post the message. Have you tried to send it to yourself to see if the entire email address comes up underlined "on the other end"?

OP
K
Reaction score
There is definitely no space - I've had this problem for a year or more. Yes, I have emailed it to myself and it does not appear all underlined.
It underlines as I type, but just stops when I get to the . for .za

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I've tried every possible combination of plain and rich text formats and a few other settings, but couldn't replicate the problem ... :|

As far, as I can see, there's no option to remove hyperlink from an email address in Mail, unlike other apps (and rightly so, of course), therefore no settings to play with as such.

What version of OS X and Mail are you running? Maybe someone with exact same setup can help ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:(
osx 10.9.3

Well, that's what I have, but whatever I did, Mail always handles email hyperlinks correctly ...

Sorry I can't be of help :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Maybe I just used Eudora for too long and still can't get Mail to work as I expect with Mavericks and all up to date, and I don't think I've evert been able to get an email address hyperlinked, at least while composing a message.

Adding an email address just sits in the message as plain text, and using Rich Text doesn't change anything.

So maybe we need to read up with some of the suggestions here:

How to Prevent Mac OS X Mail From Breaking Links in Emails - About Email

How to Insert a Link in an Email With Mac OS X Mail

What to Do When Mountain Lion Mail Fails to Auto-Complete Email Addresses

So I'm with the OP here!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.