2010 MacBook vs 2012 MacBook Pro Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 16GB RAM 500GB SSD OS 10.9.5; iPhone 6
My son has a 2010 White MacBook 7,1 that he uses for school, internet and gaming. The HD is dying, the battery no longer holds a charge for very long and the fan runs hot and loud constantly. We recently upped the RAM to 8GB, put it in a case due to the rubber bottom coming off and replaced 3 broken keys on the keyboard. I think I could replace the fan, battery and install a SSD from OWC for around $450 (total includes the money already spent on RAM, new keys and a case) but I'm debating whether I should--is the machine worth it, or if I should instead purchase a refurbished 2012 MacBook Pro from Apple for around $1,000.

I'd rather spend less money, of course, but I don't want to find that after spending $450 to replace parts that a year later I have to replace the computer anyway. Any thoughts on which you think is the wisest course of action?

And, how easy or difficult are the newer MacBook Pros (2012 and later) when it comes to upgrading specs like hard drive and RAM?

Thanks for any input!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think I could replace the fan, battery and install a SSD from OWC for around $450 (total includes the money already spent on RAM, new keys and a case) but I'm debating whether I should--is the machine worth it, or if I should instead purchase a refurbished 2012 MacBook Pro from Apple for around $1,000.

Regarding the 2010 MacBook:

- Don't need an SSD...just replace the existing HD with another traditional HD...less $$$.
- Unless the fan is malfunctioning...it doesn't need to be replaced. Most laptops will run hot doing certain tasks. The MacBook may only need a good cleaning inside.
- If the battery does not last very long on a single charge...then it probably needs to be replaced.

As far as newer MBP's. Many of the retina MBP's are really not upgradeable by the end user (you must by all you think you will need upfront). If you find some non-retina MBP's...they are still upgradeable...probably no more difficult to upgrade than the 2010 MacBook.

Basically what I'm saying is...the 2010 MacBook can probably be back in working order for about $150-$175.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Just a thought, is the battery running down quickly due to the fans constantly running? You may find a good old spring clean to remove some dust that may be inside the machine may reduce heat, thus reducing the amount of time the fan is over active.

Chris

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick replies!

We have cleaned the inside of the MacBook, and yes, it definitely needed it. We saw improvement but the computer still seems to run much hotter than our other laptops. Of course, the rest of us are not gamers so maybe that is part of the issue? Is there any special maintenance or best practices to help gamers keep their computers running better longer?

If I purchase a new HD I think I still want a SSD and can get 240GB at OWC for under $200. I think that's worth the gains BUT I just had an idea. Would a HD from a Mac Mini fit a 13" MacBook? I recently purchased a Mini and swapped the HD with a SSD so I have that lying around. I will open the MacBook later today to see if that may be possible.

Good to know about the newer MacBooks with Retina displays, thank you.

If I did put effort and money into my son's current 2010 MacBook, is it worth it in terms of future OS compatibility? And, how do you gauge the health of other internal more expensive parts like logic boards and such?

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another question: If I can successfully swap the mac mini's old HD for the macbook's ailing drive, do I need to format the HD for the laptop? It is a new from Apple drive never, yet, used (no software added or anything) but not sure if it matters that Apple intended that installation of the OS for a mini vs the laptop it would end up being used in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.