a freeText to voice app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
in android phones there is an excellent "@VOICE ALOUD READER" which allows me to store countless news or text articles for my interest and it speaks them back to me from one article to next, while l can do something else. My standard iphone4s allows me to "speak" only the currently highlighted text. is there a way to make it continue reading other articles of interest without a charge?

Also highlighting the text in iphone4s is precarious and relatively time consuming compared to my samsung note 2, where l just highlight a single word (~1sec) and press the 4 squared icon at the top (~1sec) to highlight all the text. in my iphone4s, i highlight a word first (~1sec), then move my finger or thumb up or down to highlight all the text, (~1sec) but when l take my finger off after a further ~(3secs), very likely all the highlight unhighlights, and l have to start again, frequently l have to do again about 3-5 times. all to "speak" one article and having to repeat again for next article. whereas it only takes ~2seconds to speak countless articles of interest with @VOICE ALOUD READER.

Any tips on making iphone 4s more user friendly?
is the 5s as user "unfriendly" or more user friendly like androids, or note2

thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
is the 5s as user "unfriendly" or more user friendly like androids, or note2
The 5s will effectively have the same problem because it's the exact same software running underneath. The only difference would be the larger screen size which is still going to seem paltry next to your Note.

Does this work?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
The 5s will effectively have the same problem because it's the exact same software running underneath. The only difference would be the larger screen size which is still going to seem paltry next to your Note.

Does this work?

So are you saying no known free text to voice apps to rival the excellent android app "@voice aloud"
also the precarious highlighting of all text, is the only way?

thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So are you saying no known free text to voice apps to rival the excellent android app "@voice aloud"
Did you look at the suggestion that I provided? Does it not work?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
Did you look at the suggestion that I provided? Does it not work?

Thanks Vansmith for directing me in the right direction, except its not what im actually looking for, firstly, l want something that can read to me without me having to be online the same time. soundgecko doesnt seem to allow that. so l want something that allows me to highlight any article, online or offline, the part of the article l want to read, to the clipboard, and it reads back to me whether online or offline.
soundgecko doesnt seem to allow that. am i correct?

thanks again

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
Have you tried the text to speech functions that are built in How to Enable and Use Text to Speech on iPhone & iPad | OSXDaily ?

There are a number of other options as well. You can find some of the options described here. I think there are You Tube videos of some of these programs and a few others in action.

thanks slydude, best suggestion, I decided to use my 4s's "speak" and paste all the articles l am interested in into my "notepad", highlight all and just "speak".
this is fine except when l black out the screen, by pressing the power button once, to save battery, and so l dont accidentally touch the screen and interrupt the "speak", everything stops!, is there a notepad or similar, where l can just use 4s's "speak" and black out the screen and yet have it continue?

thanks again

C

chas_m

The app store is very likely to offer dozens, if not hundreds, of read-aloud apps. Do a little research there.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
The app store is very likely to offer dozens, if not hundreds, of read-aloud apps. Do a little research there.

I have checked before , the APP STORE on mobile and computer, the apps available actually bit different, found a reasonable "text2voice" available for my macbook, but its not available on my iphone4s. is there a way of transfering it from mac to iphone? the other voice to apps l checked are god awful, making a robotic robot sound human.
its a shame @voicealoud is only available for androids.

C

chas_m

Mac apps do not run on iOS. Sorry.

On my iPhone -- on the rare occasion I need a message read to me because I'm driving or some such -- I just have Siri do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.