iOS8 hotspot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.7 GHz Mac Pro, 30" HD cinema display, 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM
With a hotspot via iOS8 will we be able to use wifi only iPads in our cars?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple just today announced iOS 8 which will be released sometime this Fall. We know as much about as you do. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
With a hotspot via iOS8 will we be able to use wifi only iPads in our cars?

As long as you have a iPhone with a working Data plan.
Its your iPhone that will be making the HotSpot so as long as you have a iPhone and a Data plan, then you will have a HotSpot in your car.
Now Im not sure how its working in the US, but I believe you had to have a Special Plan for Tethering through your Telco ?? So in that way I'm not sure how they are going to get around that (BTW thats so wrong what they do there).

But here in Aust we have had HotSpot since iOS5 I think, but it all is from your iPhone, so if you don't have one of them, then your out of luck. From the KeyNote though, when your on your Home WiFi network then its all done via your Home WiFi so if your in the US, you could still have to pay for it, through the tethering Plan . .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing that was mentioned is this:

Lastly, Apple has also streamlined the process of creating a mobile hotspot. Instead of going through an elaborate configuration on your phone, you can simply connect directly to your phone from the OS X menu bar, and enjoy wireless internet access wherever you are. It’s easier than ever to set it up, but that just means it’s even easier to burn through your data plan in the blink of an eye.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
My first thought was this would hinge on your carrier if they charge for that ability or not. But maybe Apple has found a way around this. We'll see in the Fall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Talking about iOS 8, does anyone know if an iPhone 5 (not 5S) will be able to upgrade to the iOS 8 when released? I'd do it in a heartbeat if so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Talking about iOS 8, does anyone know if an iPhone 5 (not 5S) will be able to upgrade to the iOS 8 when released? I'd do it in a heartbeat if so.

Apple website says anything from iPhone 4s upwards. So not my iPhone 4 then :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
The speed tethering capability is really a feature of the new OSX rather than a special feature of iOS. You'd have to (assuming as already mentioned in this thread) have a data plan that allows use of a hot spot (some older unlimited plans didn't support tethering without paying additional fees), and if you want to link your iPad to your phone, you'd have to manually setup the hotspot on the phone and setup the iPad to connect.

The new feature in OSX is geared to make ones life using a laptop easier while away from accessible WiFi. If you don't have the feature from your carrier to support tethering/hotspot on your account, it will probably prevent you from turning on hotspot mode on the iPhone (as of 7.1, you evidently can't activate a hotspot if your carrier/data plan doesn't support it). I don't think Apple is going to be circumventing carrier restrictions on hotspots, they're just trying to make it easier for those that have that availability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.