First glance OS X Yosemite

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Keynote presentation for Yosemite was interesting. It will indeed be free. There was no description though of the minimum system requirements. I think my Mac Book Pro will be OK but this is probably the last one it will handle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea they kept the specs under wrap this year. On the whole Keynote, they didnt cover much apart from Yosemite, iOS 8 and Swift, the new programming language Apple invented.
On Yosemite, I have to say I really like it, and some of the feature are way over due.
Things like Airdrop FINALLY I can ket rid of DeskConnect the App I used to send files between MBP, iMac, iPad Mini and iPhone.
I also like the making and taking calls straight from the Mac machine. That is going to come in really handy, and I backed a Speaker on Kickstarter called HiddenRadio which is a Bluetooth 4 Speaker as well being able to use it as a iPhone speaker. When your phone rings, you touch it and start speaking, or touch answer on your phone and use it to talk at, so because this will be on my desk, it will incorporate well for me.

Love the "Dark" scheme and will be using that from day dot and as well as the opacity used in the App Headers and Sidebars.
It surely is being well integrated into iOS and I thought last year what else can they do, but I was pleasantly surprised.

What really turned my eyes was the new Programming Language Apple invented, and looking through the iBook now, its going to make the person who thought they couldn't program, into a Programmer. Going from having to Add Properties and Lets say a UIControllerView taking up 4 lines of code, to 1 line of code. AWESOEME !!!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
iCloud Drive was actually the most significant part to me, along with the new prices on cloud storage.

Reaction score
My biggest questions about Yosemite: Will I be able to install it on my MacBook Pro 5,1 (Late 2008). I was a bit surprised the let Mavericks install on it. Anybody get a developer preview and can see the requirements?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
iCloud Drive was actually the most significant part to me, along with the new prices on cloud storage.

Does this remind anyone of the disk features that were part of Mobile Me?

Reaction score
What really turned my eyes was the new Programming Language Apple invented, and looking through the iBook now, its going to make the person who thought they couldn't program, into a Programmer. Going from having to Add Properties and Lets say a UIControllerView taking up 4 lines of code, to 1 line of code. AWESOEME !!!

Agreed. I'm decent with Python and have a working knowledge of C++ but have been struggling to get a small program written in Objective-C. I've been going through the book as well tonight and there are a lot of things that remind me of the Python environment I am most familiar with. I'll be putting the program on hold until the fall when Swift is released and just working on the Windows version which I have better support for. I just wish I had the xcode update now so I could try it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I want it hope my MBP will take the update.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's an article that lists the system requirements for the developer preview of Yosemite:

iOS 8 And OS X 10.10 Yosemite System Requirements - Business Insider

- iMac (mid-2007 or newer)
- MacBook Air (late 2008 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

According to Apple.com...you need to have Mavericks installed to "mess around" with the Yosemite Beta:

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

* Nick

Reaction score

Ditto on iCloud Drive, though I'm weary about iCloud Photos and the 5GB storage ceiling cap. .99c/mo for 20 GB is nice but I think it's a cop out as far as cloud storage goes compared to others such as Google Drive or grandfathered OneDrive users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Does this remind anyone of the disk features that were part of Mobile Me?

Spot on, I said exactly the same thing, as soon as I heard it ... had 20GB on MobileMe, wasn't much use, after they moved it to iCloud, even though it was free for a year :Smirk:

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick beat me to it, but from all I have seen any Mac that will run Mavericks will work with Yosemite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just need to know if there is a requirement for Bluetooth 4 on Macs to support the continuity/handoff features.

I'm hoping not. But all the talk of 'proximity' features has me wondering

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I expect, and possibly deserve, a barrage of critical comments; but why did Apple choose the name "Yosemite" the pronunciation of which may not be immediately obvious even to native English speakers who don't know the US well (UK, Europe, Australasia etc) and doubly confusing for those for whom English is their second language?

I really like the features of the OS though.

Ian

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I expect, and possibly deserve, a barrage of critical comments; but why did Apple choose the name "Yosemite" the pronunciation of which may not be immediately obvious even to native English speakers who don't know the US well (UK, Europe, Australasia etc) and doubly confusing for those for whom English is their second language?

I really like the features of the OS though.

Ian

I suppose they could have chosen something like 'Worcestershire' which would have been less of a pronunciation problem . . . ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Arkansas gets my vote ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I'm with Ian on this ... surprise, surprise :Smirk:

I also fully expect the next Windows version to be called Jose-tick ... or Joshua-spider ;D

Love the features, and can't wait to upgrade!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I suppose they could have chosen something like 'Worcestershire' which would have been less of a pronunciation problem . . . ;P

Certainly true for us Brits of course but perhaps if Apple want to be truly global though they could start using iconic names from around the world. Personally I'd go for "OSX Marmite" (*) but maybe I'm just a little biased.

*Marmite - A delicious yeast based spread, great on toast. Beloved by all true Englishmen worldwide. Note, that latter sentence may not be strictly true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Anyone who grew up on Bugs Bunny cartoons (which is pretty significant part of the world population) should know how "Yosemite" is pronounced by now.

EDIT: Ever wonder how many people think OS X is pronounced as "O S Ex"? Quite a lot, actually, owing to ignorance of the Roman numeral system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
EDIT: Ever wonder how many people think OS X is pronounced as "O S Ex"? Quite a lot, actually, owing to ignorance of the Roman numeral system.

That's rather simplistic. It's a matter of personal preference really, something Apple is famous for granting in its OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.