Anti-virus for Windows?

Reaction score
I am running windows 7 on my Mac via third party software. Do I need to install anti virus software to protect against the latest attacks on the windows systems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes indeed and very, very promptly.

Suggest Microsfot Security Essentials which is avaiable free from Microsoft. Then keep definitions up to date at least vtwice weekly.

Reaction score
Security Essentials is not that great. Even Microsoft is downplaying it's use. He might be better off using Avast or one of the other ones out there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lately, the German made AVG has gotten the best write ups for effectiveness. MSE is no longer recommended. There is also the free AVAST. Avoid Norton, Kaspersky, and McAfee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd suggest Avast and Malwarebytes-antimalware.

Both have free variants but I'd get the paid for upgrade on Malwarebytes, it's realtime protection is excellent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I am running windows 7 on my Mac via third party software.

Do you mean a virtual machine, like VirtualBox or VMWare, or more integrated, like Parallels?

The first question I would ask "do I need this Windows machine to have online access at all?"

For example, I run an XP vm to have access to CorelDRAW files, but there's absolutely no need for this machine to be online, so it isn't, and never was, hence no worries about Windows vulnerability.

M

MacInWin

I run XP under Parallels, for one single application that has no OSX version. I have zero AV protection, but I only go to the one single website for that one single application. And I back up the virtual machine every time I run it, so if it does get infected, I just will whack it and restore back to an uninfected version. That way I don't have to pay the price in performance of the AV but I do have a plan if it gets infected somehow.

OP
J
Reaction score
Cyber attack replies

Thanks for all your replies and useful information I am running windows 7 on VM software and unfortunately one of the two programs requires access to the internet and is not available on the Mac. Following the above suggestions I have installed Avast anti virus and paid for the upgrade. I will also that I back up after every session. Hopefully that will cover all the bases.

Thanks again to you all

jdstevo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I am running windows 7 on my Mac via third party software. Do I need to install anti virus software to protect against the latest attacks on the windows systems

If you are running Windows and connect to the internet, yes, you certainly need AV protection, and not just for the latest virus's.

I only run Windows 7 for specific ham radio software, and need to use a browser while operating. I used to use AVG Free, but now use Zone Alarm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have had good luck with MSE and Malwarebytes on clients machines also I change the UAC from default setting to top setting.
I instruct them to hit ALT + F4 when they are presented with a page asking something suspicious.
I usually create a user account for them to do the majority of their surfing with no admin privileges .

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi again
I only browse the internet via the Mac. The only connection to the internet from windows is for a program which updates it's data automatically every time it is switched on . Does this make a difference?

jdstevo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No. You go online so the danger is there ~ go with AV software of your choice.

M

MacInWin

I would say that if the ONLY place you go with Windows is to that one program and it does just that one update, then you can probably get away with no AV. Just backup before each time you go online from Windows. As I said, I have one program that needs Internet to operate under Windows, so I back it up before I go online so that IF it does have some attack, I can delete that version and roll back to the previous, un-infected image. But be careful if you do that to make sure that you really stick to that discipline.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.