• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

No WWDC Speculation?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ok folks we're really slipping here/ Mere hours from the WWDC Keynote address and no rampant speculation, wish lists, etc? What gives? We've normally started a host of threads by now.

If Tech Crunch is right about an IOS 8 announcement my iPhone 4S will likely be left in the dust. Unfortunately my wife may not think that is a good enough reason to upgrade.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You want rampant speculation? No problem. Apple's going to start selling its own brand of beef in supermarkets. ;)

I imagine that something will happen regarding the Beats acquisition. That aside, as always, I'm more excited about OS X improvements than I am about iOS ones. Speculation from others suggests that the next iteration of OS X is going to inherit some of the iOS 7 design details which is either going to look great or absolutely terrible (I'm one of the few that likes the iOS redesign). It looks like Spotlight might be more Alfred like which is awesome. I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

What I really want though is what they introduced with SL and then removed (for some reason) - the ability to see minimized windows in Mission Control. I'd also like to see hardware improvements to the MBA. I'm thinking well into the future here but I want what the MBA offers (battery life and weight) but with better guts. So, I keep wanting better internals even though I'm years away from getting a new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would like Siri on OSX.
App Store on the Apple TV.
Make Airdrop work on all.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You want rampant speculation? No problem. Apple's going to start selling its own brand of beef in supermarkets. ;)

ROTFL. Why stop at beef, How about hot dogs as well. Shape 'em the right way and you could call them infinite loops.

I forgot about the Beats acquisition, I think you're right there will be something there, I'll be keeping an eye on the OS X revisions as well. My MacBook Pro is at the age where it might get left behind by some changes or the entire update. Not expecting that to happen but it's possible.

I'd br annoyed by that but it wouldn't be the reason I upgrade the hardware.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Oh, that joke was bad...well done.

The acquisition has been talked about by everyone except Apple and Beats (other than "it's been done") so I think many people want more information. Why Beats? What do they offer?

I want a leaner and faster OS X. Honestly, if all they did was go Snow Leopard on this next iteration (by improving upon Mavericks instead of gutting it), I'd be happy. As for Siri, something I know a lot of people want, it'd be nice if I didn't spend most of my time in a library or somewhere where talking to my computer would just look weird.

Reaction score
I suppose there's plenty of speculation about OS X 10.10 (my anal-retentive friend calls it 10.1…despite there being 10.1 some thirteen or fourteen years ago) and iOS 8. I also take it that my parents iPhone 4's (yes, iPhone 4) are out of the loop with the next iOS…and perhaps my Dad's iPad 2. I have the last remaining devices to run the next two or three iOS releases - until they're replaced.

I don't even want to know about the hardware limits of the next OS X release. Chances are, of the three Macs that I own, the newest will probably run it.

Is it 10AM PDT yet?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I haven't had a change to sit on Twitter and read through all of the rumors, so in one I'm actually totally going to be surprised by anything they announce. Another 52 mins to go and since they're live streaming it, I'll be on..:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok...I'll throw something crazy out there. Not that I'm a fan of this...but how about a laptop with a touchscreen.

- Nick

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...I'll throw something crazy out there. Not that I'm a fan of this...but how about a laptop with a touchscreen.

- Nick

It might happen though I personally would probably not be a fan.

Were you thinking something akin to the Surface? Double duty as an iPad/laptop? That probably would not have the horsepower I would be looking for. The next device I buy will have to do a respectable job as my primary machine.

Reaction score

- Nick

A jab at Winders or are you seriously being serious? ;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Were you thinking something akin to the Surface? Double duty as an iPad/laptop?

A jab at Winders or are you seriously being serious? ;P

Well...I would really hate it if Apple did a "me too" product like the Surface. But I think that folks really would like a product that was a true "laptop replacement".

I think that Apple is heading in this direction with the rumors of a 12" "iPad Pro". But I think that the WWDC 2014 is supposed to be too early for something like this.

- Nick

Reaction score
Well...I would really hate it if Apple did a "me too" product like the Surface. But I think that folks really would like a product that was a true "laptop replacement".

I think that Apple is heading in this direction with the rumors of a 12" "iPad Pro". But I think that the WWDC 2014 is supposed to be too early for something like this.

- Nick

I could imagine a 12" iPad…though…doesn't Apple usually release new iPads with the Fall event? Or an entirely separate event from both WWDC and the Fall events?

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- Nick

Wow. How did I miss the iPad Pro rumors. I could get behind something that was a true laptop replacement. I would have to be be powerful enough to be my primary machine though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. How did I miss the iPad Pro rumors. I could get behind something that was a true laptop replacement. I would have to be be powerful enough to be my primary machine though.

There have been a few articles written on it. Many have been pointing to an October/December 2014 launch date (if it actually happens).

For me...if all Apple did was increase the display size to 12+"...then this would not be a ground-breaking product (just like a larger display iPhone wouldn't be anything super exciting). For me...an iPad Pro has to be more of a laptop replacement...then just increasing the display size...and calling it "Pro"!

Heck...with this logic...an iPhone with a larger display could be called an "iPhone Pro" (what the heck would that be or mean)??;) Adding a larger display doesn't necessarily make something..."Pro-fessional"!;)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If anyone would rather use a media player instead of Safari, the URL for the stream is:
http://p.events-delivery.apple.com.edgesuite.net/14poiunaeporfnsvpobjuanefvpjb6a/refs/14pijbefvoihbfva6_sl_ref.mov
In QT, go to File > Open Location... and paste in that URL.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm listening on my Apple TV now.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feel as if I might be in the minority here but that new look is well done. Notification centre looks to have gotten some more utility as well. And sweet, Spotlight gets what I've been using Alfred for! I want that version of Spotlight now...

Looks like Apple caught up with Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive with support for half the platforms. That gets them half to way to what a cloud service should be.

Last edited:
OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm looking at it now and I like the look also. Finally put the Sptlight bar somewhere useful.

BTW for you guys who have been around a while does Spotlight now remind you of Sherlock?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if this new version of Safari fixes that odd bug in which you can't see the progress of the page load if the address bar has focus. That really needs to be fixed. Bonus points for minimizing window chrome though.

The new version certainly looks interesting. If only they supported more platforms than OS X and iOS and had better extension support. Until then, it will remain a secondary browser.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm liking the continuity features. Hope they will work for FaceTime calls as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.