• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

No WWDC Speculation?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Well, that was some interestingly myopic language around the position of Android in the mobile market. It's no surprise that they talked about how they're losing global market share. Then again, they did steal rich notifications from Android so it seems that the strategy is to malign that which they take from. Apple really needs to ease up on the ridiculous rhetoric around Android since, because Google stays pretty quiet, it really just makes Apple look insecure.

Ok, that's my iOS rant for the day.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Well, as I expected IOS 8 will leave my iPhone 4 behind. The added features would be nice but not vital for the way I use my phone. According to AT&T I could upgrade now. Think I am going to wait a bit though. It would not surprise me a bit if the iPhone 6 were announced sometime in the Fall.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I hope for Apple's sake, there's another announcement specific to hardware scheduled sometime in the very near future.

Reaction score
Now that I'm seeing the preview of OS X on Apple's website - I can honestly say that OS X looks like pieces of paper neatly glued on. It's also very flat, yet still looks something of the 3D-CGI effect you see these days on TV and film. Or perhaps more or less like stop motion filmography. LOL

As for hardware compatibility - anyone find the list yet?

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@CWA107

I wasn't exactly expecting a hardware announcement today. It was a real guess whether anything was coming or not. IIRC the last few summers they have saved hardware announcements till sometime in the Fall.

I didn't see a hardware requirement for Yosimite either. They may wait to announce that as it gets closer to the release date.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@CWA107

I wasn't exactly expecting a hardware announcement today. It was a real guess whether anything was coming or not. IIRC the last few summers they have saved hardware announcements till sometime in the Fall.

The blogosphere / analysts were though - and with a large screen iPhone being as overdue as it is (and I would argue, a new generation of serviceable Macs), this is going to cost them.

Their stock is already taking a hit.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Oh joy! As a registered developer, I get beta access to both Yosemite and iOS 8. I guess I know what I'll be playing with tonight.

I've been thinking about what iOS 8 will offer users and combined with the continuity features of Yosemite, I'm almost sold on an iPhone. I just need a larger screen.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that was some interestingly myopic language around the position of Android in the mobile market. It's no surprise that they talked about how they're losing global market share. Then again, they did steal rich notifications from Android so it seems that the strategy is to malign that which they take from. Apple really needs to ease up on the ridiculous rhetoric around Android since, because Google stays pretty quiet, it really just makes Apple look insecure.

Ok, that's my iOS rant for the day.

To be fair though, Android has taken more than its share of cues from iOS (heck, most of the early UI design is an iOS derivative). Turnabout is fair play as far as I'm concerned.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can not wait for my Android Tablet to arrive! :D Grin

I agree completely with Chris but fear the Macs will get even less serviceable rather than more. I hope I am wrong.

The Larger screen iPhone though is pretty much a for sure I am told.

Last edited:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be fair though, Android has taken more than its share of cues from iOS (heck, most of the early UI design is an iOS derivative). Turnabout is fair play as far as I'm concerned.
Absolutely. Every platform steals from the other and what I said wasn't meant to suggest that Google is free from critique. If not Google, the OEMs who use and modify Android certainly steal things from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
New iMac!!!! Release date December 2014/January 2015?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like the hardware announcement (if any) is not going to come until later this year. Chris mentioned he would like to see a new line of "serviceable Macs" - I personally think other than the Mac Pro, new Macs are probably going to be non serviceable. Anyway, it sounds like iOS 8 and Yosemite are going to be exciting upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm wondering how many of the features that were supposedly "inspired" by Android over the years were actually available for iOS before Android via jailbreaking.

Anywho, I'm pretty tickled over a lot of the upcoming features, especially those that are LONG overdue! I really like iOS 7 and did almost immediately, although I thought I wouldn't at first thanks to all the naysayers telling me I shouldn't. For a major overhaul like that, they really did an amazing job in the little time they had once Tim Cook did some housecleaning, and it looks like iOS 8 is going to pay off big time now that they've had plenty of time to fine tune things and add those long overdue features. I've long felt some egos were holding the platform back for too long.

Reaction score
Slydude,
I can't feel sorry for you. My iPhone is a 3G, and my wife won't let me upgrade until it dies! However, it keeps marching along with all of its orginal functionality -- just not the latest "looks."
Best wishes for a short life for your 4S, BanjoBuddy

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My first iPhone was a 3GS and my wife is still using hers. The volume switch died on it shortly after the 5 came out. I got the 4 for next to nothing. I am due for an upgrade.

I am betting there will be a 6 in the Fall or shortly thereafter. I am hoping I can convince the wife to take my phone and I upgrade to the 6. BTW "accidentally' dropping the phone, maybe into a bucket of water, might help things along. Assuming the wife doesn't find out. grin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am hoping I can convince the wife to take my phone and I upgrade to the 6. BTW "accidentally' dropping the phone, maybe into a bucket of water, might help things along. Assuming the wife doesn't find out. grin

LOL, my son called the other day telling me his daughter (my grand daughter) dropped her new iPhone 5 in the toilet. Fortunately it didn't get flushed but it sure killed it. Anyway, be innovative in the bathroom, who knows what kind of excuse you could give your wife! :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My first iPhone was also a 3G. It would still be working. I went shopping with a friend and had it in my jacket pocket. I got out of the car at home and it pushed out of the pocket when I was picking up my grocery bags! I got to the front door and realized it was not there. Walked back out front and a car drove up and parked and ran over the poor 3g! It cracked the display and the main board. Sad day but got my 3GS which still works fine which was quite an improvement at the time.

Moral of story, Zip that jacket Pocket! :D Grin

Sly, is there any chance your wife gets on the net and checks up on you? If so you might be careful with your plans where she might see them! :D Grin

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chscag Tried the bathroom trick once with a flip phone I had at the time. I was at Lambert Field in Saint Louis and went into the restroom on a layover between flights. Phone fell out of my shirt pocket, hit the rim of the toilet and hit the floor. The phone was fine except for a small crack where the top and bottom case met.

I was going to McGyver it together with a little tape but that was right after 9/11 when airport security was being tightened. Figured if I showed up with a cell phone taped together I might end up on the late news.

@Dennis She's heard that plan already and informed mw in no uncertain terms that it will not work. Sure I can think of something though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What I really want though is what they introduced with SL and then removed (for some reason) - the ability to see minimized windows in Mission Control. I'd also like to see hardware improvements to the MBA. I'm thinking well into the future here but I want what the MBA offers (battery life and weight) but with better guts. So, I keep wanting better internals even though I'm years away from getting a new Mac.

Snow Leopard has Mission Control? I have Snow Leopard, I'm using Snow Leopard. There is no Mission Control, just Spaces and Expose.

Maybe that feature was in Lion? Or, if I have MC, it's hiding. I've seen it on my son's Mac, so I'd recognize it. The point of my post is to discover MC, if I truly have it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.