MacBook Pro Wi-Fi issue

Reaction score
There's something wrong with the Wifi connectivity on my Macbook Pro. Every few minutes, I lose connection to the internet even though it says I'm still connected to my network. I have to turn Wi-Fi off and then on for it to start working again. It only works for a few minutes and sometimes hours, but then I have to turn Wi-Fi off and then on agian. It only happens on my MacBook. It's really annoying.

Can someone help me please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Can you let us know what version of the OS you are running ?
For that specific version, have you applied all patches ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I'm using version 10.9.1. And yes I have applied all patches!

If you go to  and click on Software Update ... do you not get prompted to 10.9.3 update?

It might have nothing to do with the problem you're having, but then again, one of the listed improvements was VPN / IPsec, it also included Safari 7.0.3

Are you using DHCP or static IP for your MBP?
Is there an IP conflict, particularly if there's a mix of static and DHCP addresses on your network?
Have you check to see if your ISP updated/changed their DNS servers (I had that happened to me once)?

A bit more info on your setup might help, e.g. "all my devices are on static IPs to TimeCapsule, which also acts as a router, the ISP's DSL modem/router has WiFi disabled and there's a linux box firewall in between" ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I'm using version 10.9.1. And yes I have applied all patches!

You have not applied all patches because the latest version of the OS is 10.9.3.
Do as David suggested above and use the software updater to update to the latest version of the OS and any firmware patches ( if applicable to your model ).

Then we can go to the next steps in troubleshooting :)

Cheers ... McBie

OP
S
Reaction score
I have applied all patches but the problem still occurs! As I said, this problem only happens to my MBP. It doesn't happen on any other laptop or PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you haved used Software Update as suggested you should be running OS X.9.3 not 9.1.

OP
S
Reaction score
The update won't fix the problem. I've had this issue for a lot of time now. What else could I try??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try using your Network Pref Pane -> Wi-Fi -> Assist me... -> Diagnostics... and follow directions.

Also check your Mac's Airport and your wireless router's settings. Check the speed and/or channels available that may help if you're getting some interference or speed conflicts.

PS: I wouldn't be so hasty to dismiss any available OS X updates. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
The update won't fix the problem. I've had this issue for a lot of time now. What else could I try??

Are you using DHCP or static IP for your MBP?
Is there an IP conflict, particularly if there's a mix of static and DHCP addresses on your network?
Have you check to see if your ISP updated/changed their DNS servers (I had that happened to me once)?

A bit more info on your setup might help, e.g. "all my devices are on static IPs to TimeCapsule, which also acts as a router, the ISP's DSL modem/router has WiFi disabled and there's a linux box firewall in between" ...

:Smirk:

OP
S
Reaction score

Oops David. Sorry, I forgot to reply to you. No, my ISP haven't changed or updated their DNS servers. The DSL router's wifi isn't disabled. I'm using DHCP. I don't think there's an IP conflict. How do I know if there's any?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.