How Do I Get a New Master Password?

Reaction score
My mom has lost her master password on her mac including the mac software to install the OS. What are my options here for getting a new master password to be able to install software as an admin?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell us which version of OS X your Mom is using on her Mac. The procedure for assigning a new password varies. Up to OS X 10.6 the password is changed with the install disk, from OS X 10.7 to the present, it's done from the recovery partition using Terminal.

OP
B
Reaction score
Tell us which version of OS X your Mom is using on her Mac. The procedure for assigning a new password varies. Up to OS X 10.6 the password is changed with the install disk, from OS X 10.7 to the present, it's done from the recovery partition using Terminal.

It's OS X 10.9.3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you mean the login password this will help. if you mean FileVault bad, bad news. There is no Mavericks disc. The option was to burn to a USB thumb drive prior to rinning the bInstaller. After Installl the Instaler deletes from the Applications Folder.

OS X Mavericks: Reset a login password

FileVault is much more of a challenge:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4790

OP
B
Reaction score
If you mean the login password this will help. if you mean FileVault bad, bad news. There is no Mavericks disc. The option was to burn to a USB thumb drive prior to rinning the bInstaller. After Installl the Instaler deletes from the Applications Folder.

OS X Mavericks: Reset a login password

FileVault is much more of a challenge:-

OS X: About FileVault 2

"Reset your login password when FileVault is turned on

If FileVault is turned on, use the FileVault recovery key to reset your login password."

What is FileVault and how do I know whether it's on or not?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What is FileVault and how do I know if it's turned on?

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Security & Privacy
- File Vault tab

Don't forget to try Google (5 second search)…rather than waiting 6+ hours.;)

* Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.