Battery Charger auto shutoff?

Reaction score
I'm tired of wasting electricity. Is there any way once the charger has fully powered my macbook pro to simply stop sending electricity to a fully charged battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm tired of wasting electricity. Is there any way once the charger has fully powered my macbook pro to simply stop sending electricity to a fully charged battery?

You're joking right???

Simple – Try unplugging it!!

But seriously, I doubt that you could even measure the tiny amount of mAmps it might be using once the battery is charged.

OP
T
Reaction score
Obviously I could disconnect it! As you should know, if you view any MacBook in the extreme bright mode, which due to my poor vision is a necessity, quickly drains an unplugged battery in only 30 minutes. Next time you feel compelled to knee-jerk some snarky comment to make you appear intelligent, how about connecting the battery charger to your brain first!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Obviously I could disconnect it! As you should know, if you view any MacBook in the extreme bright mode, which due to my poor vision is a necessity, quickly drains an unplugged battery in only 30 minutes.

If you're using the computer...then just as you mentioned above...the battery will drain quickly. So leave it plugged in.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I wasn't meaning to sound glib, but you didn't mention the needed brightness nor the battery state originally.

Assuming that the battery has been conditioned with calibration, it seems that it's due for replacement or just leave it connected to the charger. And as it's needed to keep the MacBook running, I don't really see it as wasting any electricity.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

And just so you know, the charger DOES stop charging a fully charged battery, at that point it just powers the laptop. You can confirm this by clicking on the battery icon on top, look at the Battery Source to see where the power is coming from..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.