• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

When does warranty begin?

Reaction score
Hi,

When does warranty begin?

a) The time you purchase the Apple product from a store?
b) The time you register your Apple product online?

I'm thinking it's a)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
It is A.

Registering on a website is optional.
The legal concept of Warranty starts as soon as the goods have been delivered AND you have paid for it.

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To expand on what McBie mentioned. The 12 month included Applecare warranty starts at the time of purchase. And like McBie mentioned...registering is optional...since Apple tracks the Applecare warranty by the serial number of the computer.

Thus if you sold your computer to me after 6 months...the remaining 6 months of Applecare is now mine...due to the fact that I now physically own the computer. So your personal info in Apple's database is not important.

Now if you decide to purchase extended Applecare later on (to extend the warranty to 3 years)...then you do need to go thru a registering process t register the item/computer (serial number mostly).

Everything is tracked by serial number.

HTH,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So wait a minute...

You mean I can't wait until it breaks 5,6,7 or 10 years from now - then register it so I have another 12 months to get it fixed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So wait a minute...

You mean I can't wait until it breaks 5,6,7 or 10 years from now - then register it so I have another 12 months to get it fixed?

Right.....and just because you say this means you have either (a) tried it or (b) know someone who has.

Would be great if it was true :)

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
If Apple can establish when you purchased your product by the serial number, is a receipt even necessary to get your computer fixed for example?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes and for the three year AppleCare extended warranty.

To expand, simonvee, if one purchases direct from Apple or an Apple store, and needs service under warranty from a Reseller they will need the receipt. Not many of us live near an Apple Store - my closest is 240 miles so I have to deal with the Reseller for warranty work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If Apple can establish when you purchased your product by the serial number, is a receipt even necessary to get your computer fixed for example?

Apple most certainly does know when a computer was first purchased due to the purchase transaction date by the original purchaser (which is in Apple's database).

No receipt is necessary...it's totally by the items serial number (which is linked to the original purchase date). So someone could be the 5th owner of an Apple computer within the first year (12 months)...and walk into an Apple Store with 1 day of Applecare remaining...and get it repaired no problem/no receipt (assuming the problem/repair was something Applecare covered).

For approximately the past 17 years...I have only purchased used Apple computers for my own use. In a number of those cases I was lucky enough to still be the beneficiary of remaining Applecare...AND...in a couple of those cases...I actually needed to have something repaired.

- Nick

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.