2/3rd sceen

Reaction score
can any of you smartys tell me how to fix my screen? When I open safari or1password It only comes 2/3rds of the screen I have to drag the bottom downward its getting annoying.Thanks a lot Bob

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- Is this an iMac's builtin display?
- Is this an external display used with a Mac-Mini?
- Is this an external display used with a Mac Pro?
- Is this an external Display used with an iMac?

More details always helps with helping us visualize the situation.:)

What have you done so far?:

- Have you tried adjusting things within the "Display" System Preference?
- Was the Univeral Access "zoom" feature turned on by accident?
- When you say you can only see 2/3rds of the screen...do you mean 1/3 of the display is "off in space somewhere" (outside the borders of the display)? Or is 1/3rd of the display actually black/blank?

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Nick this is on my 27" IMac, The best way to describe my issue is if you take your mouse pointer now and go to the bottom of your screen grab it and bring up the screen a third of the way and leave it that is how my screen is when I log on I have to bring it down like a window shade!Bob

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the info Bob.:)

I think that the first two things that need to be looked at are:

1. Do you have the correct display resolution set. The correct "native resolution" for a 27" iMac is 2560x1440.

To check this go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Display

2. Check to see if the "zoom" function has been activated. To check this go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Universal Access or Accessibility (depends on the version of the OS you have)
- check to see if "zoom" has been activated

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Nick the zoom style is in full screen,none of the box's are checked off .Should I check any of them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Zoom functions are set normally, leave them alone.

When I open safari or1password It only comes 2/3rds of the screen I have to drag the bottom downward its getting annoying.

How about other apps? Does the same happen? Or how about a bare desktop, do you get a full screen?

OP
B
Reaction score
Desk top is full,I just found that when I switch to my wife's and then back to me what ever I had on when I switched needs to be pulled down,I just tried leaving IPhoto on and it was 2/3rd screen when I went Back.This has to be something simple to fix Ij just don't know much about Comps!

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Desk top is full,so far its just 1password and or safari

OK, that helps to trouble shoot the problem. At least now we know it isn't hardware that's malfunctioning. Check to make sure you have Safari setup correctly so that it's centered on the screen. Same with 1Password. I have the same machine you have and Safari opens exactly the way I closed it. 1Password opens to a centered dialog that only takes up a small portion of the screen. I suspect you may have expanded both Safari and 1Password unevenly and they're opening the same way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
from the safari menu have you tried:

window
zoom

does this make safari expand to occupy the whole screen?

if so, then try quitting and re-starting safari and see if it still does rather than occupying just 2/3ds of it

OP
B
Reaction score
tried that and tried expanding by re clicking green dot. Goes back to 2/3rds when I log over to my wife then back to me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have ypou tried repairing disk permissions ??

If not, restart holding down ⌘R to boot into the Recovery Partition. Now in the menu bar got to Utilities and select Disk Utility. Now when open select your HD 2nd from top of list, and highlight it by clicking once. The click First Aid and then Repair Disk Permission down the bottom.
Once done, (don't worry about all the error, this is normal) restart an see what you have by opening Safari, make it screen size and then ⌘Q it to Quit and then open it again.
You might have some corrupt preferences and doing a Repair, can align everything again and make it right.

Still nothing come back and lets us know.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No luck with that! TMAC

I would head into the Mac App Store download the OS you are on, and do a reinstall, AFTER you do a backup.
That seems like the only option left that I see :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.