please help. malware OSX/GEORGEI-A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
malware...

o.k... so i tried to download a free version of the latest email program for Lion OX... and ended up with malware within seconds of starting the download. anyone else have this issue? does anyone have a free download url for the latest email program for Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
You can update your OS X here: OS X Mavericks and get the latest version of Mail

For the future, to avoid malware and similar nasties, it is best to look for apps in Apple App Store - secure and tested environment, and plenty of choice.

As far as email program, I would take a second look at Mail - when I moved from Linux, I didn't like it either, and continued to use Thunderbird ... I absolutely love Mail nowadays ;)

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
o.k... so im not happy with the email program that was supplied with the lion OSX ... there are later programs out . Anyone got suggestions as to which email program would give me graphics as the post comes in? im currently using sparrow...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hey Judy, I hope the weather in Tassie is treating you well :)
Im confused as in your Title, you mention Malware, but in the post you ask about another email client ?? And Graphics ?? Do you mean Notifications ?
Well if you can, you can do the free upgrade to Mountain Lion OS X 10.9 and get the Notifications Centre where you will get Notifications when a email comes in.

But if you can't do that, you can download Growl Notifications where you can set it to bring up a Notification on your screen when a email comes in. Go here to download Growl for your OS.

When you say your not happy with Mac Mail, what is it you don't like. We find, its usually something that can nearly always be fixed by checking a Preference somewhere . . . . But as to Mail, I use and like Airmail for all my mail now, and easily handles 4 email addresses . . . Its a couple of $, but It looks nice, is compatible now with GPG and as well as Spam Sieve . . .

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
o.k.. i didnt give enough info.. sorry its caused confusion. Ive got Lion OSX. i dont like the email program that is a part of Lion so i have been using sparrow. I have a lot of emails, up to 1500 a week, and i do online shopping. So, an important feature for me is that the email is fully displayed, graphics and all, as it comes in. But sparrow has weaknesses with its thread setup in conversations... so im trying to upgrade on it. I did try to download one of the latest email programs but it was infected with malware... GORGEI-A I got rid of it but now im not so sure about downloading anymore ... i want to knowwhere there are any later programs that are safe? there must be... i would prefer at this point not to have to buy... if i dont like it i can just delete the program if its not paid for by me. I think this is all that i need to publish right now. thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
o.k.. i didnt give enough info.. sorry its caused confusion.

Threads have been merged...and thread has been moved to a better area (not really a "Desktops" topic). No need to triple post. Three seperate threads were created for the same topic (just creates a lot of confusion for folks tryong to help).

Please post one thread...and continue the discussion within that thread.

Thanks,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
o.k.. i didnt give enough info.. sorry its caused confusion. Ive got Lion OSX. i dont like the email program that is a part of Lion so i have been using sparrow. I have a lot of emails, up to 1500 a week, and i do online shopping. So, an important feature for me is that the email is fully displayed, graphics and all, as it comes in. But sparrow has weaknesses with its thread setup in conversations... so im trying to upgrade on it. I did try to download one of the latest email programs but it was infected with malware... GORGEI-A I got rid of it but now im not so sure about downloading anymore ... i want to knowwhere there are any later programs that are safe? there must be... i would prefer at this point not to have to buy... if i dont like it i can just delete the program if its not paid for by me. I think this is all that i need to publish right now. thanks

Ahh Ok I understand now. When you download something, you need to make sure you get it from a reputable site ie: MacUpdate, Cnet and I tend to stay away from Softonic like the plague . . . MacUpdate and CNet always check the downloads for Malware so you know they are safe.
The next best option is to use the Mac App Store that you have with the Lion OS, and if you follow my link above for AirMail, this will take you too the Mac App Store.
When there in the search box tip right, type in email and it will bring up a whole page of Email clients for you to look at. It even has Sparrow there as a safe download and you can't get any safer than downloading from the Mac App Store.
But Airmail shows all graphics in the email, and I have had no problems with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is Softonic a high seas company? Pirated software often comes with nasty little surprises.

M

MacInWin

Cnet has been known to bundle in crapware as well, so I avoid it and download.com.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A couple of things are not clear to me. Why do you not like OSX Mail? That would clear things up so a different application can maybe be recommended.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.