MacbookPro 5,4 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz

Reaction score
My MacBook is MASSIVELY slow! It started about 3 years ago, and soon after my hard drive crashed. Apple replaced the HD and told me the slowness was due to the impending HD failure, but it has never been faster again. I recently took it to a "Apple Certified repair facility" who claimed I had maxed out my HD space and they put in a 1T HD. Computer is actually now running SLOWER! Tech said it is my internet and claims to have had no problem playing with the computer "all day" - but opening ANY program, even my scanner, results in the beach ball for several minutes and often I have to force quit the program. HELP! It is really not even functional now and I'm out $400.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How much memory and what operating system? Important questions. Do you run antivirus software, MacKeeper, CleanMyMac etc? Do you do maintenace with Onyx or ever Repair Permissions?

OP
S
Reaction score
Memory is 4 GB, split into two 2GB banks. Type DDR3 and both 1067 MHz. "Status" for both is "OK".

OS is OS X 10.9.2, but it's been operating slow for many versions of OS before this. after the HD replacement and it was still slow, I took it back to Apple and they said most likely I have a corrupt file that is affecting all performance. They "uninstalled" the OS and reinstalled with a fresh install, but that did not solve the problem. They told me I needed to back up my files, wipe the HD again, and then reinstall fresh versions of all the software. UG!

No, I don't use anything like MacKeeper. I researched it and it appeared the consensus was that it actually slowed the computer down.

I don't do any really major computing with this. I have a very large iPhoto library, but honestly at this point only use the computer to back up pictures, check email, and compose Pages documents. The computer is too slow to really do anything else on it. :-(

I don't use Onyx or the other one people talk about....I'm just hearing about them and wondering if that might help? I figured, it's best to ask before putting MORE on my system. I don't know how to repair permissions, so no - I've never done that either.

Thank you for helping!

OP
S
Reaction score
Hello - this site is very interesting. It basically locked me out and claimed continually that I had entered an incorrect username/password. Uh.....I just signed up so I don't forget that fast and also I told my computer to "save" the password, so how can I be wrong? I requested a reset and that also gave me the "wrong username and password" I requested a reset again, same outcome, except now I was getting the "YOU HAVE EXCEEDED 5 FAILED LOGINS AND WILL BE SHUT OUT FOR 15 MINUTES". Waited 30 minutes and tried again - same messages. Emailed help but who know when or if that will come through.

SO - new account here I am!

I am currently doing a cloud backup of my computer - it probably won't be done until tomorrow. Then I'll install the Onyx as you suggested.

Question (and I HOPE I will be able to access your answer!) - How do you make a bootable USB thumb drive? (noted in your signature) Sounds like I need to do that as well before switching to that next OS X version? Can I download the new OS X WHILE I'm doing the backup? Or should I wait for the backup to be done, then download OS, then backup again? Then download Onyx - then backup again?

Thank you again for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just checked and both of your accounts are fully registered. The forum auto bot is going to flag them and possibly ban them. We only allow one account to be registered. I understand that you have had difficulty with your username and password.

I will ask the Administrator to combine the accounts. Please be patient with the process.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok - chscag - I'm just trying to get some answers and have very little time to check in on forums for follow up, unfortunately. When I get a block of time - I'm really motivated to find a fix or at least something to test.

Hopefully I will not get shut out. I used different emails so I don't see how the system knows they're both me? Anyway - I hope it gets worked out soon as I'd really like to be able to get back in and check on the forum regularly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You need to log in with your username - not your email address...

Both of your accounts are being combined into one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.