Replacement for 24" White iMac

Reaction score
I have a 2006 model 2.16Ghz 2MB RAM 24" white matte screen iMac that's served me well but has considerable dark gray screen burn in spots and is showing its age by running slow. I will only buy a non-glossy, non-glass matte monitor/screen as the reflections from a glossy screen would drive me crazy, especially considering the room the computer will be in. I have read conflicting reports on whether or not the 2013 and 2014 iMac is a glossy, glossy-light or matte screen. Wikipedia indicates "Glossy glass-covered widescreen 16:9, LED backlighting and IPS technology." This makes me wary. I don't want to see any reflection at all, especially since I sometimes spend a long time in front of the screen. If the new iMacs don't have any reflection, then would a 24" or 27" be better for me?

If the new iMacs are indeed glossy screens, then is there a 24" or similar sized non-widescreen matte monitor that would be similar to the 24" white iMac screen? I do not like true widescreen monitors, where there is hardly any vertical. I consider the 24" white iMac to be a compromise or middle ground between 4:3 and 16:9. I don't mind going the Mac Mini route.

Is there an advantage to buying an iMac or Mac Mini via the Apple refurbished store vs buying a 6 month old unit via a private party on Craigslist that has an Apple Warranty?

I truly wish I could purchase a 2006 model White Intel plastic 24" iMac again but since computers don't have odometers so to speak , there's no way to tell how many hours they've been on or used. I would buy one that's been sitting in a closet for years, though there's no way to verify that statement.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I will only buy a non-glossy, non-glass matte monitor/screen as the reflections from a glossy screen would drive me crazy, especially considering the room the computer will be in. I have read conflicting reports on whether or not the 2013 and 2014 iMac is a glossy, glossy-light or matte screen.

As far as I know...all iMacs for roughly the past 5 years or so have had the "glossy" display. But...I think the newer iMac models have some sort of an "anti-refective" coating on the glass...so maybe that helps. Maybe not as good as a matte display...but maybe better than the earlier glossy iMac display's. The best way for you to see if this is acceptable to you...is visit an Apple Store (or other store that sells new iMac's)...and see for yourself.

If the new iMacs are indeed glossy screens, then is there a 24" or similar sized non-widescreen matte monitor that would be similar to the 24" white iMac screen?

I think that many/most computer monitors sold today are of the 16:9 variety (but there are probably some brand new 4:3 displays being sold). If I was looking for a 24" 4:3 display...I would probably look on Craig's List. Save some bucks vs. new as well.:)

Is there an advantage to buying an iMac or Mac Mini via the Apple refurbished store vs buying a 6 month old unit via a private party on Craigslist that has an Apple Warranty?

- The Apple refurbished units are just like new. Rarely will there ever be any ends, dings, scratches, nicks, etc. on them. A 6-month old private party unit could have these.

- Let's say the owner of the 6 month old unit got the standard 12 month included Applecare. If the computer was 6 months old...then you would only have 6 months of Applecare remaining. With an Apple refurb. you're going to get a full 12 months of Applecare.

Of course you may be able to negotiate a better price with the private party deal...but I'm doubtful. Many folks selling a 6 month old computer still think that the computer is "just like new"...and may not budge much from the brand new price they paid for it. They may even be asking more for it...than the Apple refurb. price.

Bottom line...you get 12 months of Applecare with the Apple refurb....and possibly only 6 months with the private party deal. Of course if the private party seller purchased extended Applecare (3 years)...than that could make a big difference (if the 6 month old computers price was comparable to the Apple refurb. price).

I truly wish I could purchase a 2006 model White Intel plastic 24" iMac again but since computers don't have odometers so to speak , there's no way to tell how many hours they've been on or used. I would buy one that's been sitting in a closet for years, though there's no way to verify that statement.

There actually is an indirect way to to MAYBE get an "odometer reading" on a used computer. If the computer has it's original hard drive still in it...there is at least one computer HD backup program that can tell you the number of hours that the hard drive was running. So this can give you an approx. number of hours on the computer. Of course you would have to install this program BEFORE purchasing a used computer from someone...and they may not want you to do this (install an app on their computer before purchase).

HTH,:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted to add (regarding the "glossy" display on iMac's). There is something you can do. The glass that covers the display (which of course causes the reflections & glare)...is removable (just held in with magnets).

So if the glass was removed...it would be less reflective...and more like a matte display. But with the glass removed...the iMac would be much less aesthetically pleasing.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll add to what Nick said above.....

I've had a 2011 iMac (21.5" model) which had a very glossy screen. I used it in my home office where it was placed away from the window and any lamps. That was satisfactory as the gloss then did not cause any reflections.

I now have a late 2013 iMac (27" model) which has a screen that is not as reflective or glossy as the 2011 model was. I can use it with my window uncovered and lamp on without seeing a reflection.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I now have a late 2013 iMac (27" model) which has a screen that is not as reflective or glossy as the 2011 model was. I can use it with my window uncovered and lamp on without seeing a reflection.

That sounds pretty awesome/quite an improvement!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Buy the 27" iMac from Apple Refurbed. Comes with 12 months warrnty and if you wish you can purchase three year AppleCare plan. Suggest buying this from a dealer ~ they are cheaper than Apple for discount reasons. The difference over a 2006 model will amaze you. Pop into the Apple Store, or Resller, and have a look.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. After more research on the current generation iMac screens, at this point, I think I am going to pass on an iMac and focus on a Mac Mini with a Dell 24" IPS 16:10 monitor with a matte screen. I've always had Nvidia graphics cards and have been very happy with them. I notice that the current Mac Mini uses an Intel HD Graphics 4000 video card. How is that for watching YouTube videos and movies? I don't play video games.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I notice that the current Mac Mini uses an Intel HD Graphics 4000 video card. How is that for watching YouTube videos and movies? I don't play video games.

It should be OK. It will even be satisfactory to play games that do not require a fast frame rate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.