Re Sizing Pictures

Reaction score
I've got a Macbook Pro I can't seem to figure out how to re-size my pictures so I can share them with friends on line

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open your pictures in "Preview" where they can be easily re-sized and saved for further distribution on line or mail.

OP
R
Reaction score
Sorry no go,,I'll add I never went for any software upgrade in I-Photo since I bought this mac about 5 years ago if that makes any difference I've tried google for help but everyone seems to do it a different way

M

MacInWin

What do you mean by "no go?" Open Preview, find the image file and open it, then on the top bar you can pick Tools and then Adjust Size, or you can go to File and Export and then move a slider to the file size (thereby changing picture size). What happened when you tried that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I'd like to start by saying the Preview resizing, suggested above, is by far the best and simplest way to handle the task, however seeing that it cause some confusion, would something like that work for you: on secondary click you select Resize Image:

ScreenShot2014-05-31at234048_zps6152f003.png~original

Then set the desired size (long side in pixel):

ScreenShot2014-05-31at234001_zps12b3739d.png~original

and get a reduced size copy of the original image, with 'resized' added to file name?:

ScreenShot2014-05-31at235023_zps1df50c6b.png~original

If yes, PM me, and I'll email you an automator workflow file that will do just that.

Now, this is something I would never, normally, recommend to anyone, in fact, would strongly advise against that ... I was going to suggest you create your own Automator workflow, but perhaps, it might be a bit too involved ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
What do you mean by "no go?" Open Preview, find the image file and open it, then on the top bar you can pick Tools and then Adjust Size, or you can go to File and Export and then move a slider to the file size (thereby changing picture size). What happened when you tried that?
When I go to adjust size the lettering is grey not black so when I click on it, It closes

M

MacInWin

Then you most likely don't have permissions set to allow you to edit the file. Find the file in Finder, then right click on it and choose Get Info. The permissions are listed at the bottom of the window that opens. Change your permissions to read and write (you'll need to provide an administrator's password).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Rob, I sent you PM with a link to the Automator workflow file, and detailed instructions - this will give you the functionality you desire ;)
Of course, you'd still need to make sure, you have Read & Write privileges, for the files you want to resize, as above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You also pick the size you want by using iPhoto's Export function and choosing Custom Size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rob, I sent you PM with a link to the Automator workflow file, and detailed instructions - this will give you the functionality you desire ;)

Well, I hope you've downloaded the file, as it will expire tomorrow ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.