New to Xcode and mac development, need basic help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2008 Macbook 2.4 Core 2 duo 8G Of Ram 240G OWC SSD
Im running a late 2008 macbook pro with 4g ram and Mavericks. Not that it has anything to do with my questions, I thought it might effect your answers though. So anyway, I have been building/developing on linux for several yers but Mac is a totally new experience when it comes to using xcode. I honestly have messed around with it and tried to teach myself the basics which is my normal MO but I have to admit, I'm stumped. Here is all I woud like to know for now: When you download a source package and open xcode by selecting the project file in the downloaded archive, is xcode immediately going to configure, compile, and run that package?(BTW, I refer to default behavior only in all I discuss here.) Next, once you have built a package, or complied it, where is it? I cannot find anything that says install or create app or anything like that. Does xcode install a built package? Even if it doesnt install it, I am still unable to find the complied package after it says it built ok. This is the main part that is confusing me. I am making certain, of course, that the target is right etc..I guess what would be great is if some one could give me a little (./configure && make && make install) instructions for xcode. I just want the utter basicsa on what I need to do to build a program that will have no issues from source and install it. Any help would be beyond appreciated as I just cannot find this anywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Let's back up a little. Having read your post several times (and being an old time Linux developer) I can understand your confusion. First off, don't expect the logical edit, save, compile and run of *nix. I have learned a lot of languages and suites in my career, but Xcode was the most frustrating ever. The Apple documentation is dense and great for an experienced Xcoder, but it is impossible to penetrate for a beginner. And you are right about finding help. Many "beginning" tutorials start with "Hello World," assume that you have understood everything that wasn't presented, then move to some intergalactic sized data-dictionary using functions and calls that overflow a full line and might as well be in Sanskrit.

Your OS and machine do indeed have something to do with the question. You can certainly code on a 4mb Macbook, but Xcode is a huge program and you are going to bump up against the top of memory pretty fast. You will need to stop any program that isn't needed for the moment and even then, might have to "sudo purge" on occasion when the beach balls get out of hand.

While you are developing, Xcode keeps everything in the 'Bundle." Think of it as a database with everything that your code needs, including scripts and data that you might call or use. If you are finished or want to try it standalone, then you will use the project feature to export it.

It is worth learning Xcode if you want to stay in the Apple world. Xcode is a great way to build a GUI that can be used with your old code. I use it as the front end for Perl (my favorite). All it does is call this or that script, which does the actual work, then receives the results and displays them in a nice window. Many times, on large scripts, I code on my Linux beast, then move the script to the Mac to connect it to Xcode.

So, if you are still interested, be advised that the first steps are going take some time. Come back with a list of specific questions.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can compile applications from the CLI using xcodebuild as well if all you're using XCode for is building. Here's the man page.
It is worth learning Xcode if you want to stay in the Apple world. Xcode is a great way to build a GUI that can be used with your old code.
I'm not sure I agree with this but I'm also not a professional coder. There are plenty of frameworks and IDEs out there that may be better suited to the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I'm not sure I agree with this but I'm also not a professional coder. There are plenty of frameworks and IDEs out there that may be better suited to the job.

There are most definitely some good IDEs out there - if you are changing over to OSX in a big way and want/need to put in the time to learn. But, I was approaching it from the vantage of a guy that has been on Linux for a long time and just now seeing Xcode for the first time. With *nix, you write the program in Kate, pop up a terminal to compile it, then another to crank it off. No bundles, no confusion about the difference between IOS and OSX code, and your $60 dollar books aren't instantly obsoleted the minute that Apple upgrades the suite. Linux coding hasn't significantly changed in years.

I know exactly what he is going through and seeing and it isn't pleasant. To be able to actually do the work in what you are good at, but present it in a really professional GUI display can take some of the pain away and lets you concentrate on one thing at a time.

Learning both Xcode and Objective C at one time can be like going to the airport for flying lessons and being told that our training aircraft is a 747. Now, if you have a mentor available that knows the X/Oc package, then you have it made. But a solitary beginner or a hobby programmer will google an hour for ever minute that he writes code. And probably a huge number just give up in frustration.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.