Need to clean/organize - running slow

Reaction score
Hello all,
first post on this forum. Anyway, I just upgraded to Mavericks, on my macbook pro (I know, Im late). Ive had this macbook pro for about 2 and a half years, so it is not that old - 2.2 GHz Intel core i7, 4 GB of ram.

But, lately Ive noticed my computer has been running slow/lagging on a lot of task. I know I have a lot of CRAP on here that I do not need. Does anyone have any recommendations or solutions of how to do a major clean up on my macbook and get it running up to speed like it is fresh out of the box? I need to do a major clean up job and take off anything and everything I do not need - software, files, all that. Also, I want to make sure there is no malware or any of that crap slowing it down. Its doesn't run extremely slow, but I notice if I have many tabs open and another few applications open, it really lags sometimes.
Solutions/recommendations/tips?
Thanks everyone!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Some things to look into:

1. In the Activity Monitor app there are a couple of statitics that are worth keeping an eye on (page outs and swap file). When these get large...things slow down. The less ram someone has & the more hours someone uses their computer...the faster these stats get large...and slow things down. For this...4gig of ram is not bad...but 8gig is better. To remedy this situation (regardless of the amount of ram)...restart the computer every once & a while. This resets these stats to zero.

2. If your HD is getting over 80% full (approx.)...this can slow things down.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

First up how much free space does the hard drive have jester? Minimum of 20-25% is recommended. Do you have any of the dreaded Mackeeper, CleanMyMac etc or antivirus software installed? 4GB of memory is the absolute minimum and more would benefit. Next use Onyx to run maintance chores. It is freeware and always recomnded here. Version 2.8.5 recommended:-

Here is a link on Onyx download and How to Use:-

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php

http://www.onyxmac.com/how-to-use-onyx-for-mac.html

OP
J
Reaction score
Hm, well I just checked and I have about 400 GB free out of 500 GB, so we can probably say that this is not the problem there. (I actually thought I had a lot less free, so that is good to know)
And I just figured out about the Activity Monitor! checking on that now.

and nope, never had or have any of those things like Mackeeper, CleanMyMac etc. Would never download that stuff. And I am checking out Onyx right now, just downloaded it

OP
J
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why i feel like my computer is going slowing after i downloaded OS X Mavericks ??? It seems to lag alot more...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you increased the memory and run Onyx?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can someone tell me why i feel like my computer is going slowing after i downloaded OS X Mavericks ??? It seems to lag alot more...

You've been given a number of suggestions. I'm not really sure you have tried them all...or fully considered the info.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.