MacBook Pro 13-inch Keyboard Issues

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro is a late 2009 13-inch model (with Mavericks installed) and I seem to be having a problem with my keyboard. :\

None of the letters are working - the caps lock works and so does the backspace but that's pretty much it. They seem to respond though, as when I press the keys the mouse pointer disappears as if I'm typing even though nothing types into the login screen password box (most likely a software issue then). I can't check if it's MouseKeys or turn it off because I'm not logged in, and can't log in, so have no access to my System Preferences.

The enter/return key works, but it types in letters into the password box and so does the O key but it types backwards (the letters type away rather than with the cursor blinker if that makes sense; see video below)

Anyone have a solution? I need urgent access to my Mac. Many thanks. :)

Video of problem: IMG_2996 - YouTube
Sorry for terrible 3GS video quality

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Was any liquid spilled on this computer? Have you owned this computer long...or did you just purchase it?

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Was any liquid spilled on this computer? Have you owned this computer long...or did you just purchase it?

- Nick

No liquid has recently, or ever, been spilled on it. I purchased the Mac brand new way back in September 2009 on release (so I've had it for a pretty long time)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No liquid has recently, or ever, been spilled on it. I purchased the Mac brand new way back in September 2009 on release (so I've had it for a pretty long time)

Ok..thanks for the info. So when was the last time everything was working ok...and what (if anything) has changed since?

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok..thanks for the info. So when was the last time everything was working ok...and what (if anything) has changed since?

- Nick

I was literally just using my Mac as normal. Replied to an email, went off it for 2 seconds to check my phone and then it happened. Nothing has changed except the keyboard wasn't working. I think I may have hit a key or something when checking my phone that could have possibly triggered a shortcut.

I restarted thinking it was one of those 'haven't restarted in a while' glitches (eg once the plopping sounds when you change the volume stopped appearing but after restarting came back). Unfortunately it just made the problem worse as now I can't check whether it was just MouseKeys are on or something since I have no access to the log in screen and boot menus like OS X Utilities and Safe Mode.

Is there any possible way (through OS X Utilities or something) that I could somehow reset all the keyboard and trackpad settings to normal? That might just work but I don't know if such feature on OS X Utilities exist? Maybe in Safe Mode?

Thanks for helping out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T
Reaction score

Tried this and it worked, but as soon as I typed my password in at the log in screen it stopped working. So there must be some setting on my user account that has caused this? I'm unsure. I have access to my account now but I can't do anything without a working keyboard. I checked System Preferences and both Sticky Keys and Mouse Keys both aren't on so I have no idea what's going on. :(

I even turned on Onscreen Keyboard in the settings and even when I press any letters or keys on that it still doesn't work. So it is in no way hardware if even the onscreen keyboard won't type/work.

I only have one user account and haven't got guest account enabled so can't check whether it's the accounts settings or not - since because my keyboard isn't working I can't make a new user account.

EDIT: I just logged off thinking my keyboard would work at the log on screen but it's stopped working again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried this and it worked, but as soon as I typed my password in at the log in screen it stopped working.

Some thoughts:

1. Do you have any sort of key-logging, "parental controls", or security software installed on this computer? There seems to be an "app" for just about everything...and if the computer is "confused" for some reason...maybe this app could be preventing you from using the computer (just like an unauthorized person).

2. How about trying an external keyboard...to see if that works?

3. Great to hear that you got some sort of feedback (keyboard working for a bit) after doing the SMC reset. What you really want to figure out is...are we dealing with a hardware or a software issue. Since the keyboard worked a little bit after the SMC Reset...it would seem that there's a good chance that we're talking a software problem...rather than hardware. Which I always think is a MUCH better situation.

Here are some things you can try in relation to #3:

- Boot the computer into the recovery partition. Two key command on reboot (command + r) keys.
- Boot the computer from an external source...like an external hard drive with a bootable OS installed on it (press the "c" key on reboot to choose the externl source).

If the keyboard works in either of these two cases...then we don't have a hardware problem...but something do do with software (either an installed app...or something to do with the OS).

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...does the trackpad work ok?

OP
T
Reaction score
Some thoughts:

1. Do you have any sort of key-logging, "parental controls", or security software installed on this computer? There seems to be an "app" for just about everything...and if the computer is "confused" for some reason...maybe this app could be preventing you from using the computer (just like an unauthorized person).

2. How about trying an external keyboard...to see if that works?

3. Great to hear that you got some sort of feedback (keyboard working for a bit) after doing the SMC reset. What you really want to figure out is...are we dealing with a hardware or a software issue. Since the keyboard worked a little bit after the SMC Reset...it would seem that there's a good chance that we're talking a software problem...rather than hardware. Which I always think is a MUCH better situation.

Here are some things you can try in relation to #3:

- Boot the computer into the recovery partition. Two key command on reboot (command + r) keys.
- Boot the computer from an external source...like an external hard drive with a bootable OS installed on it (press the "c" key on reboot to choose the externl source).

If the keyboard works in either of these two cases...then we don't have a hardware problem...but something do do with software (either an installed app...or something to do with the OS).

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...does the trackpad work ok?

1. I have no security software, restriction software like parental controls or the default OS X parental controls on. Just one normal admin account.

2. I unfortunately don't have access to an external keyboard

3, From what I've seen so far I'm pretty sure it's software. I haven't got any bootable external source but I'll be able to create one if required/have to and as for the recovery partition I don't have one for some reason (really odd because I do remember having it and using it before I upgraded to Mavericks).

I haven't installed any apps or done anything which triggered the change though - it's definitely some settings change but I've checked plenty of keyboard settings and see no difference.

The trackpad works perfectly fine so yeah - some software problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does the Shift key work and respond enough to get into Safe Boot Mode from a fresh startup?

If so, does the keyboard then work properly?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...as for the recovery partition I don't have one for some reason (really odd because I do remember having it and using it before I upgraded to Mavericks).

I think that you almost have to have a recovery partition. Recovery partitions are automatically created when the OS is installed (by the installer). It has been this way since OS 10.7 Lion. If you've upgraded this computer since 10.6 (or before)...then the 10.7, 10.8, and/or 10.9 (Mavericks) installer would have created a recovery partition.

Are you sure that you tried rebooting the computer using the command + r two-key combination?

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I think that you almost have to have a recovery partition. Recovery partitions are automatically created when the OS is installed (by the installer). It has been this way since OS 10.7 Lion. If you've upgraded this computer since 10.6 (or before)...then the 10.7, 10.8, and/or 10.9 (Mavericks) installer would have created a recovery partition.

Are you sure that you tried rebooting the computer using the command + r two-key combination?

- Nick

Yep, tried command + r multiple times but nothing happens - just goes into OS X Utilities

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, tried command + r multiple times but nothing happens - just goes into OS X Utilities

That is the recovery partition! The Recovery partition is only a very basic setup of the Mac OS. It allows for:

- Disk Utility app operations
- Installing of the OS into the "main" hard drive partition
- You can use Safari
- etc.

Since you can use Safari. This would definitely allow you to use/test the keyboard.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
That is the recovery partition! The Recovery partition is only a very basic setup of the Mac OS. It allows for:

- Disk Utility app operations
- Installing of the OS into the "main" hard drive partition
- You can use Safari
- etc.

Since you can use Safari. This would definitely allow you to use/test the keyboard.

- Nick

Oh my bad, I didn't even realise!

I went on Safari in recovery mode/OS X Utilities and still couldn't type, and when I click on the URL/address bar using my trackpad it peculiarly kept right clicking. Odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just curious here, but have you tried removing the battery and booting up and check if the keyboard then works?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious here, but have you tried removing the battery and booting up and check if the keyboard then works?

Yes.:) Suggested & tried earlier in the thread. Part of the SMC Reset process.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went on Safari in recovery mode/OS X Utilities and still couldn't type, and when I click on the URL/address bar using my trackpad it peculiarly kept right clicking. Odd.

Hmmm…this doesn't sound good. This may be pointing more to a hardware issue. I'm going to suggest 3 more things before declaring a hardware issue:

1. Try the external keyboard idea. Believe me…you want to try this. Because if the problem is hardware (the built-in keyboard, trackpad, or the cable that connects these parts to the logic board)…the external keyboard bypasses all of these parts.

2. Try booting the computer from an external device (hard drive) with an OS on it. This would verify that it is or is not a software issue.

3. Do a fresh install of the OS (I would try this last).

If no luck after this. I'm thinking there is a hardware issue.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Hmmm…this doesn't sound good. This may be pointing more to a hardware issue. I'm going to suggest 3 more things before declaring a hardware issue:

1. Try the external keyboard idea. Believe me…you want to try this. Because if the problem is hardware (the built-in keyboard, trackpad, or the cable that connects these parts to the logic board)…the external keyboard bypasses all of these parts.

2. Try booting the computer from an external device (hard drive) with an OS on it. This would verify that it is or is not a software issue.

3. Do a fresh install of the OS (I would try this last).

If no luck after this. I'm thinking there is a hardware issue.

HTH,

- Nick

I would but I have no external keyboards and don't know anyone that has one. :( I'll try the external device method and see where that goes and get back to you. Thanks for the help. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would but I have no external keyboards and don't know anyone that has one.

Come on man...think out of the box!;) Go to your local Best Buy, Walmart, or other store in your area that sells keyboards...buy a USB keyboard...try it out with your computer...then return it.

Or...get on Craig's List and buy yourself a cheap used USB keyboard.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.