iPod not a device

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" M2 running Sonoma 14.0
My iPod doesn't show up as a device in iTunes. Running Mavericks on a MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - please provide some additional information: 1) What iPod & MBPro do you own; 2) What Mavericks version in installed; 3) What iTunes version are you using; and 4) Has the iPod synced previously to this computer, and if so, have you recently updated the OS, iOS, or iTunes? Might help the members respond more specifically. Also, check this Apple Support Article for other suggestions. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Did you just connect it and it wasn't there ?? Try closing down iTunes then connect iPod and then open up iTunes and see if its available.
Is the Cable you have a working one ?? They are fragile pieces of wire (I've just bought 2 more Lightening Connector cables, because both mine stopped charging), so make sure that works as well. A little bit of fault finding goes a long way, and on top of what Dave above has posted, tell us what you have tried already to root the problem out.
Also, see if it comes up in Disk Utility as a Disk when connected. If it does there, and not in iTunes there could be more amiss.

OP
kheiderman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave, thanks for responding.
1. Two iPod classics, one 30GB, one 160GB. The MacBook Pro is a 15" 2.2 GHz, Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. 2. Mavericks OS X 10.9.3. 3. iTunes 11.2.2 (3) 64 bit. 4. Yes. But then updated to Mavericks and had to install a new hard drive. 5. Updated all and continue to regularly. The Apple Support link responded as, "Can't find support page location, return to Apple Support."

OP
kheiderman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you just connect it and it wasn't there ?? Try closing down iTunes then connect iPod and then open up iTunes and see if its available.
Is the Cable you have a working one ?? They are fragile pieces of wire (I've just bought 2 more Lightening Connector cables, because both mine stopped charging), so make sure that works as well. A little bit of fault finding goes a long way, and on top of what Dave above has posted, tell us what you have tried already to root the problem out.
Also, see if it comes up in Disk Utility as a Disk when connected. If it does there, and not in iTunes there could be more amiss.

The logo appears briefly, then fades out. It does not appear in the Device menu and is not recognized in Disk Utility. It is featured to eject on the iTunes tool bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.