'ghost' emails

Reaction score
Often have hundreds/thousands of incoming email which does not appear in our account. Where is it going? Should I be worried? When I cancel this activity they are sent in smaller numbers and finally stop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Often have hundreds/thousands of incoming email which does not appear in our account. Where is it going? Should I be worried? When I cancel this activity they are sent in smaller numbers and finally stop.

HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS...this certainly cannot be a personal email account. One place e-mails can go is a spam folder (especially if spam settings are set very strictly).

Also...this is not a "Apple Desktops" hardware question. Thread has been moved to a more appropriate location.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
'ghost' email

HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS...this certainly cannot be a personal email account. One place e-mails can go is a spam folder (especially if spam settings are set very strictly).

Also...this is not a "Apple Desktops" hardware question. Thread has been moved to a more appropriate location.

- Nick
This is a personal email account and SPAM has only 12 emails in it.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is a personal email account and SPAM has only 12 emails in it.

"Often" having hundreds/thousands of emails falling into this category of "ghost emails" (which generally would be a minor percent of all e-mails received)...would mean that you might have millions of e-mails on a regular basis. This is one heck of a busy personal e-mail account!!!

- What sort of e-mails are you talking about?
- How do you know that you aren't receiving them?
- How do you know that your e-mail program is set up correctly to receive these e-mails?
- Are you sure that the folks sending the e-mails..have your correct e-mail address?

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Are you talking about the progress bars in Mail?

I have always noticed that when I open the laptop cover after a period, when Mail connects with gmail, or iCloud or whatever mail service, I sometimes get the two progress bars that say that 50 or 87 or sometimes hundreds of emails are loading, even though I may have only two or three actual posts arrive and nothing shows up in the spam folder.

Always wondered what was going on, but since it happens on all machines and all Apple OSs, I never bothered to find out.

I guess you could call them ghost emails.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.