I have a 17" MBP with power issues. How can I sell it?

Reaction score
I have a 17" MBP from 2009. It works fine....but if it goes to sleep can't be reopened without shutting off. And sometimes you need to start it multiple times for the start up to work. The Apple Store couldnt fix it. I just got a new computer.

So.....now I want to try and get rid of this MBP. Any suggestions for where one can try and sell this device? I imagine it's worthless to try craigslist and forums here cause of the power issues.

(Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to put it!)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
List it on eBay. As far as selling. Be as honest as you can...so potential buyers are not surprised when they get it.

I usually think of three categories of used computers:

1. Perfectly working 100%.
2. Works...but has issues.
3. Parts computer.

I think that your computer fits into category #2.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Option 3 for mine.

You do not want to sell it as working and be involved in a protracted argument over refunds. Five years is a pretty good run from a laptop.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless you need the money, I would hang on to it for a while. A 17" MacBook Pro is rapidly becoming a rare beast and just because an Apple store says they couldn't repair it, doesn't mean that it can't be repaired. Of course if you don't want to be bothered with it anymore, do like Nick recommended.

OP
O
Reaction score
I just got a new MBP so I just dont know if I'll use this old one anymore. It's so heavy so it's not convenient to keep as a second computer to take on trips.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's so heavy so it's not convenient to keep as a second computer to take on trips.

It's SOOOO HEAVY (it's just as heavy as the day you bought it).;) Time to hit the gym!ol;) I agree...given the other options we have these days...a 17" laptop is less convenient.

You could keep it at home as a 2nd computer with an external monitor attached to it...and use it like a desktop.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.