I burn a lot of DVDs. Thoughts on the Samsung DVD drive? Should I try another?

Reaction score
I burn a lot of DVDs and CDs of the stuff I make. I just bought a new MBP and need a DVD device.

I was thinking of this Samsung device. Thoughts? Is there another drive people would recommend instead? If I do a lot of burning, should I not be looking at a USB powered drive?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
USB is not the quickest data transfer method...but it is probably the most economical when it comes to hardware cost. Since you mentioned that you burn a lot of CD's/DVD's...the speed of a USB optical drive may or may not be acceptable.

You may be able to find a Thunderbolt optical drive...but it's going to be expensive. Thus a USB optical drive may be your best choice.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was thinking of this Samsung device. Thoughts? Is there another drive people would recommend instead? If I do a lot of burning, should I not be looking at a USB powered drive?

That one will work fine. I've been using one exactly like it (an older Samsung model) for several years and it's been a work horse. You're only going to burn a DVD or CD at its rated burn speed anyway so the transfer speed (USB 2 vs USB 3) is not worth the extra $25 in price.

BTW, shop around. I've seen that drive even lower than the price that Amazon is advertising.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Samsung SE-208 does just fine. Make sure you use both USB connectors to get enough power. Sometimes this can be a problem on a MacBook simply getting enough power through the USB port/s.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.