Unix Files

Reaction score
What kind of Unix files? Text? Binaries?
If all else fails drag and drop on TextEdit.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts! Dropping into TextEdit does it fine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you ever have one that's an executable, you can always open it from the command line. Just "cd" into the directory and type ./<executable name>. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I can elaborate).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thanks from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts! Dropping into TextEdit does it fine.

I'm in the commonwealth as well...when do I have to start calling people Comrade? ;)

OP
J
Reaction score
If you ever have one that's an executable, you can always open it from the command line. Just "cd" into the directory and type ./<executable name>. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I can elaborate).

Please elaborate.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Doing what I mentioned requires using the Terminal. Open the Terminal, type cd and then drag the folder that the file is in onto the Terminal window. Press enter and then type ./<filename> (replacing the <filename> with the name of the file).

Reaction score
I'm thinking they have a bunch of old files that OS X doesn't know what to do with so they show up as 'unix' files.
Probably mostly text files. To the OP, if you know they're text, add a .txt extension and you can double-click them to open them in TextEdit.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm thinking they have a bunch of old files that OS X doesn't know what to do with so they show up as 'unix' files.
Probably mostly text files. To the OP, if you know they're text, add a .txt extension and you can double-click them to open them in TextEdit.

Thanks! That works fine for the files that don't open directly in TextEdit. I appreciate all your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.