Password login attempts?

Reaction score
I have my MacBook OSX (I am not sure what exact version 10.6 something.. I am not very computer savvy) which I purchased in 2013 in a common area of the house.

I am the only one with an Administrator account and no guest accounts.
I also have a roommate who may think he's a smart guy. I suspect he may have attempted to enter passwords on my machine trying to gain entry to my mac.

-Can someone advise me about how many times someone could do this? Is there a number of attempts before the machine 'locks out'? I am afraid of coming home & the screen is frozen & will not accept my password. I am not able to secure the computer when I go to work, shopping etc. I do not wish to throw it into a safe when I cannot see it.

-Is there anyway I could tell someone has been sitting at the table just entering guesses unsuccessfully? I am synced with Keychain. Would I be able to get an email about this attempt?

Everything with the Finder & Dock seems to be normal. There is no unusual history in browsers from what I can tell.

-at first there was a Password Hint (after 3 unsuccessful attempts I believe) set up, now changed. Can someone unauthorized just continue to enter guesses after that point of getting the Hint? If I just attempted to sign on after my roommate snooping, would I be able to tell?

For the record, the password is strong and the Password Hint has now been disabled.

Thank you mac guru's .. I visit this forum often but have not had any need to post until now :L

Reaction score
No it wont lock out after so many attempts. Have a GOOD password and disabling the hint was a good idea.
If you really believe someone accessed it open a Terminal and type last. This will give names and times of logins. for more info type man last.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
". . . open a Terminal and type last..

/Slydue fleeing in terror.

Now it all comes to light. You are assisting certain members in "helping" me learn Terminal. I can feel the hives starting already.:)

OP
J
Reaction score
cradom.. thank you for the reply.

When I come home at night and either power up my machine or 'awake' it from sleep, will there be anything along the login page? I read somewhere that the clock will suddenly update from the last time the screen was open. Could that be true?

Would the login necessarily show the 'hint" if I left the hint option on and someone was trying their luck? (or- just by randomly entering guesses is the hint reset by pressing the enter key?)

I am paranoid about losing my password & do not want to write it down now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am paranoid about losing my password & do not want to write it down now.

We all have to deal with passwords...many of us multiple passwords that MUST be changed regularly (mandatory...especially places of employment). A "password remembering strategy" that works for each of us is the key.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
/Slydue fleeing in terror.

Now it all comes to light. You are assisting certain members in "helping" me learn Terminal. I can feel the hives starting already.:)

Dang, I forgot to fix that. It was supposed to be subliminal. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion use a strong 13 digit password containing numeric and alphabetic digits including the odd capital. In System Preferences you can disable automatic login and opt for show password when waking from sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
Tell your roommate you will break all their fingers next time they mess with your laptop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a password app called RoboForm, if you don't want to buy it the app will let you store 10 log ins and passwords which you can encrypt and use a password to access the app. RoboForm will even generate passwords for you. There are a lot of these apps out there and everyone has their favorite, this one is mine. Normally, after three attempts at your password Apple will require you to reset your password and you can't use any one that you have used before. Apple has broke me from remembering passwords.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem with RoboForm even though they recently reduced their price, is that it still is a subscription only purchase. You purchase it for one year for $9.95. Not a bad price for one year but it must be renewed annually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amazing . . . I have had RoboForm now since April of 2011 and never had to renew anything, get updates all the time . . . Just Sayin'

Reaction score
Maybe not the free version but it is a subscription service.
Buy RoboForm
$9.95 for the first year...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 13, iPhone SE 2, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Everyone has trouble creating memorable complex passwords especially if it's your login for your laptop because you have no choice but to remember it. Consequently many people use simple passwords such as their name, address, birthday, or combinations of the three. All are easy to crack if you can try long enough. Password generators and managers are great once you have logged in. So a simple solution is a nonsense phrase. These are surprisingly easy to remember but very difficult to guess. For example, "I don't like peas and ham" written as, idontlikepeasandham contains 19 digits is close to unguessable and can be further complicated by adding uppercase letters as in, IDontLikePeasAndHam or a number IDontLike2PeasAndHam. Give it a try. Cheers, Rod

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well cradom, I paid $49.95 for my copy maybe that is lifetime updates . . . I wish I had nothing else to do but counter every entry made here . . . I ENVY you, and I'm out of here!!! JUST SAYIN!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.