Copy apps to new IMac

Reaction score
I have my previous hard drive. Is it possible to transfer my applications ( Adobe, Mac Office ) or do they need to be reinstalled?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First thing to consider is...how old are the apps and what OS version were you running on the old computer. Then figure out if those apps are compatible with the new computer and the OS version it is running.

If the former computer and apps are old...they may not be compatible with the new computer.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Note that often Adobe and Office suites will require activation after using migration.

OP
J
Reaction score
I hooked up my old drive to My new IMac & used Migration Assistant. Great results, but you must have your Product Key to activate some Apps. All settings were restored. I had backed up my systems with WD Smartware & found out it doesn't work even though it stated on the box that it was Mac compatible. I reformatted the drive & am now using Time Machine. Thank you for the Help!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.