URL in Word doesn't work in PDF

Reaction score
I have a document that has a hyperlink in Word to a standard website. The link works perfectly in Word but will not work when I save as PDF or "Print to Save as PDF".

The link shows up in the PDF as a link (blue, underlined) but it's not clickable.

Any ideas how to make this work? Do I have a setting turned off somewhere?

Using Word for Mac 2011 and Preview.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook w/2.26 GHz Intel Corre 2 Duo running OS 10.6.8
I'm no expert but my experience is that "print to save as PDF" is basically more or less taking a picture of the document and saving that picture as a pdf file. The hyperlinks don't get translated as hyperlinks since this is just a "print" of the document. Sort of like a screenshot of your desktop. None of the icons are clickable. My explanation may be wrong but that's been my experience after "printing" lots of documents and web pages to PDF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I'm no expert but my experience is that "print to save as PDF" is basically more or less taking a picture of the document and saving that picture as a pdf file. The hyperlinks don't get translated as hyperlinks since this is just a "print" of the document.

It depends on the PDF engine used, but generally this is not the case: hyperlinks are preserved, when Print -- Save as PDF is used:

ScreenShot2014-05-29at100349_zpsb922e0cf.png~original

This is in Preview ^^

Interactive, I am not familiar with MS Office, but I thought all office suites have a built-in PDF creator - OpenOffice and Libre Office certainly do. If the problem persists, it might be worth checking these out - great software, not to mention it's free.

There could be a couple of reasons for hyperlink not to work, as far as I can see:

• Security settings prevent any hyperlink to function in a PDF document, so the question would be: do you have any other PDF files, with working active hyperlinks?
  • Word might have placed restrictions on Save as PDF function in the print menu. To verify this, can you try to create a PDF file from, say a webpage, like the one above?

What does the Tools | Show Inspector tells you under PDF Producer in the problem file, in Preview?

ScreenShot2014-05-29at101716_zpsa930670b.png~original

It could also be 'Acrobat PDF Maker for Word' - I've just looked through a few docs, sent by a colleague who, I know, is using Microsoft digital contraptions ;P

OP
I
Reaction score
When showing Inspector it indicates the same PDF engine you're example is showing regardless of if I "PDF" from Word or Safari. BUT, when I do it from Safari the links work, when I do it from Word, they do not.

This seems to indicate an issue with Word, but I can't find anything in the settings to turn ON or OFF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
This seems to indicate an issue with Word, but I can't find anything in the settings to turn ON or OFF.

Well, Word is certainly outside my comfort zone, so I won't be able to suggest anything meaningful really, but I must say, even though I have zero trust in Microsoft's ability to create decent software, I didn't expect the Office not to have its own PDF Producer (okay, it's been well over 15 yrs, since I used MS Office, so I'm seriously out of date on this one ;D ). See, in OpenOffice all I have to do is to click on this very old-fashioned icon:

ScreenShot2014-05-29at134928_zps93992a34.png~original

and I get a perfectly formed PDF file, with reasonable control over its quality (albeit not as detailed and professional, as Acrobat Pro / Distiller), created by the OpenOffice own PDF engine:

ScreenShot2014-05-29at145642_zps5a673cec.png~original

I would seriously suggest looking at either of the office suites mentioned ... :Smirk:

OP
I
Reaction score
I don't have a button in Word, but the process is actually pretty simple and "built in". I simply choose "Save as" and change the file format to PDF. Viola I get a PDF version of the document. I can also "print to PDF" which produces the same result.

I guess MS has chosen to use Apple's built in PDF engine rather than create something new or use a 3rd party solution. What's odd is that the PDF engine passes links through properly from Safari but not from Word. Maybe this is a holdover argument between Jobs and Gates permeating my user experience?!?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.