safari plug-in missing?

Reaction score
RE plug-ins OS X 10.5.8 : Recently I have been having some sporadic trouble with safari (5.0.6) and started to look at plug-ins - The apple support document entitled "Safari: Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues" to be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3230
Listed in the above dodument are items NOT to be deleted:
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Default Browser.plugin
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/iPhotoPhotocast.plugin
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Quartz Composer.webplugin
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.webplugin (Mac OS X v10.5.x only)
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/VerifiedDownloadPlugin.plugin (Mac OS X v10.5.x only)

checking the list against my directory I see that I am missing the item /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Default Browser.plugin
and, checking my timemachine backups, seem never to have had one.
Is this possible?

OP
A
Reaction score
.... Thanks, no, Flash Player not installed - therefore no FP plug-in -

OP
A
Reaction score
and also, my question was specifically about a file which according to apple, should be there, e.g., /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Default Browser.plugin , and it is for Mavericks (see discussion https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5546177?tstart=0 ) -
but should it be there for my 10.5.8?
although I find it difficult to believe that I've been using this system for years without a necessary file -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry can't help further as Leopard and Safari version 5 are no longer supported or updated by Apple. Any corruption thus is dificult to repair if you have actually lost the plugin.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts - well, no essential problem really - I have the original install discs, so if worse comes to worse I could get back to where I was, but it is time-consuming and I'm not going to do yet another system re-install (Pogue has excellent instructions for how to use timemachine to get back to present time after a system re-install) unless someone can assure me that the .plugin file is actually missing, (it has been missing for years as the timemachine backups show) and that I've been using this machine happily for years without an essential (?) file. - perhaps on 10.5 the file was never there (the apple support document might be incomplete). And re old systems - if FinkCommander was available for 10.8 or even 10.9, I'd happily change (while keeping the old macbook for terminal applications safety) but it's not ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.